UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

I know her from making a guest appearance on CSI. Probably one of the few things on that show that I managed to google without fucking up my search history.

3 Likes

With anything like this there is always an assumption that there is some kind of central command authority directing the actions of lieutenants in a strategic way. This is not true.

3 Likes

But so is her music, so crime on crime revenge attack - not really sure it warrents too much police attention :rofl:

A pop person, which puts her way out of my sphere of interest.

That said apparently her revenue from her current tour has generated some crazy figure for the US economy which has put it above the GDP of some 35 nations of the world combined.

Astonishingly, and more of an interest to me is that she was rated as the 8th best guitarist in the world in a recent poll by a uk guitar retailer. That is the daftest stat ive heard in some time and is a weird reflection of peoples weird opinions these days. There are far better guitar players on here than her.

2 Likes

Someone made an observation back when E.R shut down large parts of London comparing them to the suffragette movement and the civil rights movement in the 50ā€™s and 60ā€™s which I think is actually not too fair from hitting the nail on the head. All 3 fighting for a cause bigger than themselves, and seeing the lack of willingness by the powers that be decide to push as hard as need be to get their goal out in the public domain.

Their stated goal being impossible to achieve, but what it did was allow those that agreed with them but were more moderate and diplomatic to step in, and take charge of the conversation to ensure change did come about.

So I wonder, as annoying as they are to us - will they possibly be hated by us today, but in the future be considered in similar light to the suffragettes and civil rights activists like Emily Pankhurst or Martin Luther King Jnr or Malcom X?

5 Likes

Calm down, calm downā€¦ no lichen were hurt

6 Likes

100%. And also agree they will (if the planet hasnā€™t cooked us all) be lauded for trying to do something. The baby boomer generation and their leaders will be sent to hell in the history books.

2 Likes

This is brilliant news, and immediately has more impact than throwing paint a beloved national monuments.

5 Likes

This is starting to snowball now.

Tory Campaigns Director and his wife (also a candidate) now being investigated.

3 Likes

Yup, itā€™s a huge irony that US has a MLK day now when he was hated by so many at the time. Iā€™m not sure if Stonehenge etc are the right tactics, but Iā€™m certain that nothing will change without some form of direct action and non-violent resistance. Governments donā€™t care about non-disruptive parades and placards, many of which Iā€™ve attended.

I admire people that are willing to risk their careers and even go to jail because they see climate breakdown as more important than anything else

2 Likes

1 Like

Me too. I struggle to think of a cause or movement that didnā€™t have some form of direct action involved in the battle.

However, I think keeping the public broadly onside is a really important consideration which requires a lot of thought. I think JSO protesters frequently get this wrong and their attack on beloved or popular targets have a detrimental effect on the movement as a whole.

This morningā€™s Supreme Court ruling (which was brought by local campaigners, Friends of the Earth and Greenpeace) will do more to keep oil in the ground that Just Stop Oil have managed in their entire existence.

3 Likes

Iā€™m conflicted. There was no damage done and it made the headlines and got discussion going across the country which hopefully leads to discussion on climate.

Yes lobbying for policy change by big organisations is more effective, but also individuals feel helpless and want to do something

3 Likes

Here are the targets they should be attacking:

1 Like

Yo @Flobs - I know you meant to be ironic here :joy: :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

I think it can be useful. It helps create a clear split. Those that are against the ā€˜causeā€™ become more vocal and easier to identify as they respond in polls. So progression becomes easier to see.
Direct action ā€˜groupsā€™ tend to be a minority within a cause so in the big picture arenā€™t significant. Itā€™s changing the the laws and opinions that is significant. Once the ā€˜groupsā€™ that are against the cause diminish they become less vocal and the ā€˜normā€™ can change.
The problem here is Governments and very big very powerful companies are involved in the cause against change. that makes it almost impossible. I bet thereā€™s a good number of Tories making packets of money out of oil and gaz, just look at Germany!

2 Likes

I think most level headed people agree that emissions from the burning of fossil fuels is very damaging and needs to continue to be reduced, and eventually completely stopped.

I also think most level headed people when looking at their everyday surroundings will see that there are hundreds, if not thousands of items which are derived from oil, that they cannot or will not be able to do without in their lives.

5 Likes

The problem I have with this is that what we think we can or cannot do without is entirely irrelevant compared to the position we find ourselves in.

We canā€™t negotiate with the Earth. We canā€™t sit around a table with it and ask not to warm up because we really need all those oil based products. Itā€™s a physical system operating in accordance with the laws of nature.

We have to stop burning oil, and thanks to a complete lack of any action over the last thirty years, we have to do so very quickly.

2 Likes

The all or nothing attitude from so many isnā€™t realistic or helpful.
We NEED to stop burning oil, but we NEED everday items which are derived from it.

One example, the fully electric car.

Great that it doesnā€™t spew out fumes from burning oil, but impossible to build without materials derived from oil

3 Likes

Iā€™d say the bigger worry is agriculture. Going without manufactured goods derived from food is a hardship. Going without food is existential.

2 Likes