UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Just Stop Cows?

2 Likes

This touches on another issue. The uk has lost 70% of its biodiversity. Its mainly the small stuff, how often do you have to clean your windscreen for example. Farming has played a part in that loss.

1 Like

Anyhow

7 Likes

How would a fully electric car need oil?
Defying logic!

Presuming this is sarcasm?

1 Like

@Dane as we both know, plasticā€™s made of unicorn farts and hemp.

Iā€™m a bit confusedā€¦ you donā€™t need to burn oil to make plastic, no one is saying stop making plastic (well they are but that is because of plastic pollution which is a different subject.) Also Iā€™m pretty sure plastic is a long way down the list of oil derived products that we have become dependent on.

I understood ā€˜just stop oilā€™ to be a catchy phrase to mean ā€˜just stopping burning fossil fuels to generate energy for; heat, transport and electricityā€™. But I could be wrong.

3 Likes

Itā€™s used as a base material. I canā€™t find exact figures but is seems to be somewhere between 6% and 10% of oil production. I suspect that the level of recycling affects this.

I found this graph for US use:

Iā€™d say around a quarter of that is going to be tricky to replace.

1 Like

Getting away from just oil, agriculture uses a lot of fossil fuels (including gas and coal). Itā€™s up to around 20% of all emissions. That isnā€™t as easy to replace although changing the type of food (as @Dane rather amusingly put it, ā€œJust Stop Cowsā€) can have an impact on it but ultimately people have to eat something.

1 Like

Youā€™ll never become a Tory MP with that attitude.

5 Likes

No doubt there are plenty of uses of oil, my point is that we only need to be concerned about the ones that burn it and release greenhouse gasses. (From a narrow climate change perspective) (also obviously all of these processes use energy and therefore generate ghg, but it is possible to run these process on renewable energy)

Yes agriculture is a biggy, if we all stopped eating animal products it would go along way to reducing emissions as it is such an inefficient way to get calories/ nutrients, coupled with the methane from cows and sheep which makes them particularly bad. We are also dependent on oil based pesticides and fertiliser, obviously itā€™s a big topic in itself but theoretically we could continue using these whilst stopping burning fossil fuels for energy.

2 Likes

Come on Aurelio donā€™t seed that one.
When was the last time you saw a farmer spreading oil on a field?

I havenā€™t seen doctors poor oil down patients throats either but there are plenty of wonderful uses of oil derived products in medicine as well.

2 Likes

The relevance please?

I didnā€™t realise this was such a controversial subject, a quick google shows claims and counter claims about fertilisers being derived from oil. However The American Peroleum Association are happy advertise that petroleum coke is used to make fertiliser :-

If there is itā€™s completely unnecessary. (essentially byproducts of the oil industry that ā€˜needā€™ an outlet.
There could be ligands made for highly specific fertilisers however thereā€™s easily available alternatives (like seaweed).
Itā€™s not going to be the fertilising ingredient in any case and to bulk out one can always just use human waste. So thereā€™s absolutely no point.
Of course mineral oil is cheap so bunged in loads of stuff to bulk it out. That doesnā€™t make it necessary.

Pharmaceuticals are a bit different even so Iā€™m sure an alternative could be sourced. Itā€™s just oil in the end. The driving factor is cost and economics. By economics I mean who makes money from it.
Sure we feel dependant on mineral oil however itā€™s more a conditionment than anything else.

I donā€™t quite understand the point here

Do you you think think the planet gives a flying fuck what we think we NEED?

99% of all life to have ever existed is now extinct. We will be disposed of (along with a load of other poor species) if we canā€™t find a way to exist within planetary limits.

Itā€™s like the doctor saying you need to stop eating fatty foods or you are going to have a heart attack, but carrying on because you really NEED chocolate.

There is always this weird sense of exceptionalism about human behaviour. Itā€™s like we think because we think we need something the planet will meet up halfway.

5 Likes

Interested to see that Farage is explicitly looking to Manningā€™s Reform in Canada as a model.

Not hard to see them playing a role in a 1993 style annihilation, but what came after is rather more challenging - not least because UK political parties have expression at regional and municipal levels that Canadian parties do not.

2 Likes