UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Yeah, but it gave us a killer computer game in the 90s

5 Likes

“Oh no!”

BOOM

4 Likes

Wow, of all the hoops you’ve jumped through to defend him this one must be the most painful

3 Likes

Yep. I hate the Sun, and everything it stands for. I don’t like the Daily Mail, The Telegraph, The Express or the Times either. And even the Guardisn gets on my tits sometimes.

But a Labour Leader trying to be Prime administer simply can’t decide to boycott a major newspaper. It would electoral suicide.

3 Likes

There is, by the way, a total lack of any understanding of what a Labour Leader has to do and say to be Prime Minister. The realism of appealing to a wider base than the left.

I was chatting to a mate the other day who says he was really disappointed that Starmer said he’d use Trident. And I said what the fuck is he supposed to say? No I wouldn’t?

Every Labour Leader gets asked this, and if any of them say they wouldn’t, they get absolutely fucking slaughtered by the media.

2 Likes

Perhaps Rupert Murdoch has another grandchild that another Labour leader could be a godfather too?

Blair isn’t standing at this election. Starmer is. And as far as I know he isn’t up for being a God Father to any of Murdoch’s children.

How about maybe we don’t put the boot into Starmer for something he hasn’t even done?

Starmer is atheist anyway, so I’m not sure how that would work.

3 Likes

Starmer has to be pragmatic and do things he might not like, to try to appeal to as many as possible. His number one job is to win the election, by as wide a margin as possible, so then he can set about forming and leading government.

All the bitching, trying to trip him up, sounds to me from afar that people want Michael Foot to swoop back in!

We’ve known for a generation or more that Labour is unelectable if it veers too far to the left. It is what it is.

2 Likes

Oh! yes please.

1 Like

What it is, is the deliberate dragging of the entire political landscape to the right over the last 45 years by our neoliberal overlords.

This needs to be reversed but, people being fuckwits, it won’t be.

2 Likes

Homeless veterans, selfish entitled cunts.
Park benches are more comfortable than trenches

So basically are you suggesting that Starmer is just lying so he doesn’t get a rough ride from the press?

1 Like

Starmer has to speak to the S*n or the tax exile tabloid owners won’t support him.
He has to move right on immigration because he thinks voters have.
A former human rights lawyer that condones human rights abuses in Gaza.

Integrity? Core beliefs?

And we’re supposed to have some hope that he’ll change when he gets into power? Bullshit. He’ll do whatever the billionaires and mega-corps tell him to do

5 Likes

This is another thing that I would love to see changed…the blatant party propaganda of the press (yes I know it’s always been apparent at least in my lifetime)…but fuck me it’s disgusting that we lecture the world on morality etc and yet the we allow this sort of shit in a free press .

And labour have their own news propaganda papers (most notably the mirror /guardian)

Wouldn’t it be great to have an independent and neutral press that actually reported in truths and not serving party propaganda and scaremongering/“opinion” pieces served as facts.

The whole thing needs resetting and it won’t…and tbh it doesn’t inspire confidence for the future

The Guardian were one of the worst outlets for attacking Corbyn and exaggerating/manufacturing the antisemitism claims

4 Likes

I wish someone would actually explain what it involves. I.e. there is no little red button that they sit over, cackling like a demented maniac.

I’d suggest that saying" Trident remains an element of the overall defence strategy, integrated alongside our NATO allies," would be a sensible answer.

Military willy waving is just beyond childishness.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t that be because Corbyn was not an “establishment” man like Davos boy ?

1 Like

Well, he is a politician, and lying is what politicians do, so no big surprise there

3 Likes

He’ll be no different from all the others.
Tell whatever lies are required to dupe people into voting for him, then spend the time in power rolling out more lies as to why his promises were broken

1 Like

The trouble is that, in order to get elected, they have to try to be all things to all men.

They should realise that this is impossible and just be honest. Fat chance.

3 Likes