UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Of course they are a different race, they have no soul! Not even the daywalkers!

2 Likes

Of course @Arminius, just like all Jews behave like Shylock in The Merchant of Venice.

Come on mate, the quality of mercy is not strainedā€¦ā€¦

Interesting vote to come.

2 Likes

The bigger question should be why do they even need to have a vote on an issue like this?

2 Likes

True, it should never have come to this. But the government voted against regulation last time from memory.

A fear I have is the vote is accepted and they then put things in place to allow more public money to be used finance the work. While I concede some if that is necessary, thereā€™s a whole load of stuff I suspect water companies should be doing but arenā€™t. Iā€™d bet they have a mountain of maintenance liabilities to manage.

Just to complicate and add some understanding. A big proportion of the UK foul and surface water systems are combined systems i.e your road gullies are connected to the sewer from your house. That adds volume which creates part of the issue.

Yeah, and also Brexit comes into this.

Right wing politicians love to sell the idea of cutting red tape, binning regulations and scrapping bureaucracy. It sounds great. All that nasty red tape stopping us from getting on with our lives.

Expect regulations are generally there for a good reason. To stop industry pumping shit into rivers. To stop businesses exploiting their workers etc.

3 Likes

I think youā€™ll find that term is not really acceptable anymore in the US. Black people themselves , unsurprisingly , prefer just to be called Black.

1 Like

I believe much of London is combined. There is also a bunch of subterranean rivers like the fleet river which is combined. Flows directly into the Thames at Blackfriars. I think all those rivers flow directly into Thames untreated.

It will be a big task to take on treating all combined sewage, particularly in London.

1 Like

Basiljet is turning in his grave.

Bazalgetteā€™s plans were to divert raw sewage to the river via sewer systems, which is how its done now. He might be disappointed that we havenā€™t improved the situation even remotely in 130 years though.

2 Likes

Cause London is drowning
I live by the river

Sorry, just popped into my head

3 Likes

Sorry?

Iā€™d be surprised if it was a direct discharge other than when flows are above certain levels. Otherwise, yes most older systems in towns etc. will be combined systems. It is amazing how much of the old Victorian infrastructure is still in use. In many instances its still holding up well but there are significant maintenance issues.

@cynicaloldgit is also correct that volumes are an issue but not only in London, itā€™s an issue UK wide. It basically means that in storm conditions it either backs up the pipes / culverts or your treatment plants canā€™t cope and you end up with a direct discharge. Double edge sword with climate change.

May have mentioned this before, but the massive expansion and modernisation of Baku has the same problems.
Walk into KFC and the first thing you smell is shit!!

Worldwide phenomenon

More piss smell in Cologne.
Eau de Cologne.

Possibly even per personā€¦

does it also assist in dilution.

back when we had water restrictions, with people using half flushes and ā€˜if its yellow let it mellowā€™ , short showers etc, i know the existing sewerage systems failed to cope with the less flowable waste.

true fact

2 Likes