UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Yeah, good point!!!

1 Like

Right. Sending Mrs SBYM out the door to vote. Will watch the kids and cast mine on the way home from the school run.

See youse all on the other side!!!

If anyone you know says they’re thinking they can’t be bothered, send them the last few days of this thread. There’s enough evidence to lock 'em up, but booting them out of government will have to do.

xoxo

2 Likes

The sad thing is that anything less than a substantial majority will, thanks to Tory and media spin, be seen as a failure.

Which is utterly ridiculous, seeing where the Labour party was immediately after the 2019 election.

2 Likes

Sorry, I do have a rant now and then. I can’t help it, it is a family trait.
Yes, I heard of Rashida Tlaib, I follow her on social media, she is big advocate on public services and social issues. Incidentally she has the same first name as my mother.
Another lady I like is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. I think she is a future President imho. In my view, Biden needs to retire, he is obviously showing signs of dementia. He had a nice 1 term. Democrats are not what they used to be, abit like the Labour party.

5 Likes

Okay, okay. :+1: I would rather poke hot rods in my eyes than vote Conservative.
I am taking my postal vote with me and will hand it to my polling station in after work.

Okay, you guys have made me dither abit.

So its either Pedro Da Conceicao (Independent) v Deirdre Costigan Labour)

I want to vote for things to get better for everyone in the UK and peace in the world. Also for the youngsters :pleading_face:
I will try and do the right thing.

3 Likes

I’d say that you’re rather privileged in the sense that as long as no big surprises happen, you can safely vote your conscience, since it is likely that Labour will win your seat anyway, and of the likely candidates, they probably are the closest to representing your views.

The points about tactical voting apply more to those who don’t have that luxury.

3 Likes

During the 1987 general election, I helped out with the Labour party on election day. The canvassers had a list of potential Labour voters and they concentrated on “getting the vote out”. For me this involved giving a lift to (mainly) pensioners who couldn’t make it down to the voting booth. The guy I was with ran a wedding car firm so this largely involved helping a bunch of grannies a lift to the polling station in the back of a very nice old 1960s Daimler limousine.

I did ask the driver how they knew that the pensioners would vote Labour, and he said that there was no guarantee, but election day was one of the few days of the year when they actually had any contact with the outside world and was something that they looked forward to. I did, at least, make sure that I had a good chat with them on the way. Sadly, we had to turn down a lot of cups of tea.

11 Likes

Are we all going do an all nighter then, watching the telly when the results come in?

See you later

2 Likes

So busy at work I really shouldn’t.

However…

2 Likes

Haha…legend.

Lovely story.

2 Likes

Can’t you call in sick?:grinning:

Not tomorrow. I have an in-person meeting with my boss, my other boss, and my other boss’ boss.

Would not be wise to miss it.

2 Likes

It will be a case of watching World Service for me and, as I am an hour ahead, the first results won’t be in until the early hours. I will pick it up the next morning.

I hope your candidate does well whoever you choose.

2 Likes

Just back from the polling station, having voted Labour for the first time in my life.

7 Likes

Not surprising, considering they didn’t exist for most of it…

7 Likes

Oh, that sounds…

about as fun as a fart in a lift

1 Like

Those who may just stay at home. Please have a listen thanks.

https://x.com/GoodLawProject/status/1808757904586973352?t=_zyRnZaFYXflQQL6hR50QA&s=09

3 Likes

I shall be voting late this evening.

That way in my little mindspace it will have the impression of a coup de grace.

1 Like

https://x.com/MichaelTakeMP/status/1808743861021180027?t=z9ieZQ8J1KxuMuEsPNoyWQ&s=19

7 Likes

Who the hell is Bunty? :upside_down_face: