UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

I think you would have to see what happens after the next Scottish Parliament elections. Starmer has said that he wouldn’t approve a referendum anyway so it’s a mute point. The SNP only became the largest party in Scottish seats after the independence referendum.

I worked in the Scottish Office / Scottish Executive as a civil servant for a number of years and I did bump into quite a few of the politicians. When Alex Salmond was leader, he came across as very charismatic, but I always got the impression that he didn’t really want independence. At least, if he did, he seemed to want Scotland to be a miniature copy of the UK, which I really couldn’t see the point of.

The wider SNP actually wanted to run things differently and supported various progressive policies which I think did have wider support. Aside from the various scandals and splits that the SNP have suffered, I think the perception of them is now that they are not, fundamentally, pushing for independence. Without that USP then there are other parties that are probably closer to people’s actual views.

1 Like

https://x.com/RichyCraven/status/1809104092754510048?t=RBm63Z1wxZ7tnNwhZIkb9w&s=19

6 Likes

I think its the other way round. If Braverman or Badenoch gain control of the party they will go down Republican party route anyway, which may then lead to a merger.

It rests on whether relatively less extreme figures like Hunt can focus enough support away from B&B.

1 Like

Kind of scary when you have to walk down the street afterwards. In the recent EU elections, 9% of our town voted for the AfD (essentially a neo-Nazi party). That could just be a protest vote, but when you are essentially a mixed-nationality, mixed-race, LGBT household it is concerning.

6 Likes

5 Likes

How British can a sentence get?? ‘Bucket of custard’ LOL

2 Likes

Sounds like a pretty cunning stunt…

2 Likes

Sorry not really been watching the election as it’s all shite, but is Boris still an MP?

Also is this the most that former prime ministers etc. Have either lost their seats / stood down in one/after an election?

I just can’t believe that turnout wouldn’t shoot up to prevent that if the hags take over.

1 Like

No, Johnson lost his seat to Labour I think.
I would expect it is the most that have gone in one election - if nothing else because we have seen so many more PMs in such a short space of time.

Plus PMs usually have fairly safe seats I think…

2 Likes

Correct.

1 Like

Surely that’s all the more reason why they should be in favour of it? If anything out of pragmatic self-interest since the chances of the next election falling so nicely for them are minimal at best.

Well as a civil servant it’s going to be weird having a pm for possibly the entire period of his elected cycle​:joy::joy::joy:

8 Likes

He left in disgrace before he was banned from parliament.

3 Likes

Except that recent research by Sir John Curtice and others shows that the majority of people would be happy to pay more tax to fund the NHS.

Not everyone is a selfish cunt, you know.

10 Likes

Go to bed

1 Like

Caught a bit last night where a Tory MP(:joy:) sat next to mandelson said that labour are in favour of part privatisation of the NHS …mentioned something something that if Starmer had supported their efforts on certain things blah blah…

But the fact I didn’t see a rebuttal from mandleson was quite interesting.

Wouldn’t like waking up with those two.

Anyway, here are the revised odds for the next Tory leader:

2 Likes

How about doing a little research before posting utter drivel?

1 Like

Is this the final results?