UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Seriously, I am worried and depressed that Reform will take more seats in 5 years time and Farage has ambitions to be PM. :frowning_face:

Please tell me I am hallucinating or over-reacting

3 Likes

Yes, but as long you have a valid reason, it’s just an online click to get back in. I have been removed twice because I was overseas on holidays. The difference is that voting is compulsory for eligible voters but honestly the penalty for missing a vote for invalid reasons are like a $50 fine, so it’s really nothing. Singapore has an extremely high voter turnout.

1 Like

Will depend largely how Labour perform, and who their leader is.

2 Likes

You’ve just had an election and you’re already depressed about the next one?

3 Likes

I think it is way too early to worry about computations for next General Election as there are so many variables in play that will affect its outcomes.

2 Likes

You? Over-reacting? Nah.

3 Likes

When you see Farage and his cronies every bloody day on tv getting more air time, radio and the papers compared to other smaller parties like Green party, Lib Dems Clyd Cymru, it is depressing.

With Reform MPs in parliament, with the upcoming question times it is going to be a circus. :frowning_face:

3 Likes

It has been one for years now.

2 Likes

Not sure it will be that different to what we’ve had. Questions are usually through a ballot process so not everyone is guaranteed to get to ask one and we’ve always had people use them for performative reasons before.

2 Likes

Any analysis on how many seats the Tories have lost due to vote splitting with Reform?

It’s probably most of the ones they have lost. Labour and Lib Dem vote shares have remained pretty flat compared with previous election.

2 Likes

I’m sure someone will do that, but it isn’t as straight forward as that. It assumes that they would otherwise have voted Tory or at all. The last analysis I saw said that around 50% regarded themselves as Tory voters.

2 Likes

During the Brexit saga, many of our German friends would ask the Mrs and me about what is going on in the UK. Mostly people that don’t really follow UK politics much at all, they could hardly name a politician. But the two politicians they all knew were Boris Johnson and - Nigel Farage.
Not because they liked him - it’s just these type of loud voices travel well.

4 Likes

I’d be curious to see what effect tactical voting had. I also suspect that there were people who voted differently who thought that their constituency was going to be Labour anyway and voted for a minor candidate.

2 Likes

Yes, lots of tactical/ protest voting going on. Weekend analysis should be quite interesting.

3 Likes

Inverness, Skye and West Ross-shire now not recounting until tomorrow.

2 Likes

5 Likes

https://x.com/lordashcroft/status/1809142284530668015?s=46&t=qjQdwJi2khWQQz87wqB34A

4 Likes

The increase in the Labour vote is very skewed towards Scotland and non-metropolitan areas. The Tories have lost votes literally everywhere.

3 Likes

I was checking the seats in Wales, and the vote splitting seems to be the cause.

1 Like