UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

I wasn’t impressed at all with Labour’s Lindsay Hoyle. He was useless.

2 Likes

Pity they can’t bring back Betty Boothroyd.

3 Likes

2 m’s for his 2 left feet.

Plenty of respect beig shown

I’m assuming he is being retained? I noticed that his constituency wasn’t contended (another ridiculous convention)

2 Likes

This should be a fun reading :laughing:

3 Likes

I thought this thread was locked. The transfer is completed and the lean has happened!

6 Likes

Yes. His constituency is Doncaster North. Has been the shadow energy secretary under Starmer for quite a while.

Should be a good minister.

8 Likes

Not sure if it belongs here or the Jokes page, but George Sephton shared this on his Facebook page.

11 Likes

Lots of Twitter activity about Nige now having to declare where all his money is coming from.

I have no doubt he believes the rules don’t apply to him. Hopefully he’s as stupid as he appears to be, but I suspect it’s all part of the grift…

6 Likes

Just keep him away from bacon sandwiches :joy:

2 Likes

I saw a Tweet saying that he should walk into his first presser as a Minister munching on a huge fuck-off bacon butty.

Would be a pretty alpha move, imo.

5 Likes

Thanks. I have confused him with his brother, who now runs a charity.

2 Likes

I still wish they’d elected David as leader, think he’d have had a chance of being elected. I like Ed but his image always felt a little too goofy to be taken seriously enough in an election… and so it proved lol.

5 Likes

Some interesting arguments being made by people I respect about Starmer’s Cabinet appointments from beyond his elected MPs.

I would like to see the House of Lords binned, but I can live with some life peers if it gets some expertise and adults in the room.

3 Likes

I’m against certain aspects of the Lords (such as outgoing prime ministers rewarding their cronies with peerages), but the upper chamber is ostensibly there to prevent governments passing through whatever they like without scrutiny.

As such, it is of great value.

6 Likes

Until he decides to go Brutus on Starmer

I agree in the need of them providing scrutiny on the government being useful. Personally I don’t agree with them being appointed.

Should be elected similar to MP’s but run a seperate electorial timeline, so that they are elected seperately to a general election. And life peerage should be scrapped asap.

1 Like

I think even Labour’s own report agrees with the principles of a bicameral legislature, just not one based on peerages.

3 Likes

Understood but you did say day 1. I fully expect you will get opportunities however.

3 Likes

Okay, now the election is finished, we need to find @Flobs , isn’t he the Chairperson for France elections? I hope he hasn’t throttled anyone.

Let’s see what is happening over there :slightly_smiling_face:

Do we have a thread for that?

1 Like