UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

I would be interested to know if some of that money has come from America. It’s strange to me that Trump both knows and has name-checked Farage. Old Nigel is an opportunistic, racist, nasty piece of work… but he is relatively small time, and should receive media coverage in keeping with that.

The way it comes across, internationally, is that Britain has an extreme right wing problem of the scale of several other nations, when the truth is different. Yes, regrettably that element is there, but to date it remains fringe.

In Singapore, we have this saying that prisoners who gets released, go into a 2nd prison. Because traditionally, there is a stigma attached to people with a criminal record and as a result of getting shunned, ex-offenders either go back to their old friends who got them into trouble in the first place or could not find employment because of employer discrimination and thus get back to crime to survive.

Of course, there is no excuse for personal choices. But the society can definitely do better. We launched a Yellow Ribbon project a couple of decades ago precisely for that purpose, to educate society on why it is important to ensure that ex-offenders can re-integrate into society and also policies and programs to help these offenders find their way after being released. Singapore has a huge rep for being harsh to our prisoners because of the infamous stance on drugs, which most of us are unapologetic about, but for most of the other crimes where it involves petty crimes etc, we focus alot of programs in and out of prison in order to ensure that their term in prison does not turn into a “life sentence”. For all the bastards in the world who will remain so, there are still plenty who are worth rehabilitating.

4 Likes

Aaron Banks was behind him on the lead up to the 2016 referendum.

After that Reform has been funded primarily by ultra brexiteers including Chris Harborne. One that is worthy of further research.

Others include Jeremy Hoskins and George Farmer, husband to Candace Owens who is a US political correspondent with some unpleasant views on 1930’s Germany.

3 Likes

Why do people often say other people/friends got criminals into trouble.
People make choices, granted sometimes influenced by living conditions etc, but ultimately they choose to follow crime and should take ownership of that.

Blaming old friends for getting them into trouble is a lazy apologist mindset.

1 Like

If you are making reference to my post, it’s simply if an ex offender keeps hanging around people who they committed crime with , it’s just easier for them to be influenced. If it’s of course their personal choice, you can’t help those kind. But studies here shown that there are a number of them who go back to their old cliques because they are the only ones who would “accept” them. These are the people where we try to help them understand and know that they have more options than one.

3 Likes

I know it’s a hypothetical situation.
I get that, but they didn’t get him into trouble, he did.

Sometimes it’s true - there are people in prison who have low mental ages and can’t really think for themselves. Other people then exploit them.

5 Likes

If it’s a matter of choice of words, yes what I meant was not blaming others for their choices. It’s about letting them know they have a choice other than going back to those circles of bad influence.

1 Like

Fair comment in some cases.
:+1:

1 Like

By ‘Rich Friends’ you mean Russia, right?

1 Like

I may be totally wrong but this is the first time I recall announcements like this on the gov.uk website and getting a first place search engine listing for Ukraine. Is this a new policy for official announcements?

2 Likes

Let’s hope so. Being open and transparent is something the previous government avoided at every possible opportunity.

4 Likes

Provided its not something that needs to be discussed in parliament first. The tories were told off constantly for going to the press first. The Speaker let them get away with it numerous times with nothing but a ticking off.

2 Likes

Vote share suddenly seems very important to the media, now Labour have got a massive majority on 35%.

Not much discussion on 2015 when the Tories got 36%. Or in 2017 when they got 42% but Labour got 40%

Labour got 35% because

• they ran a brilliant strategy concentrated on turnout in key marginals

and

• there was a massive tactical voting drive to get the Tories out. The Lib Dems don’t get 70 seats without that.
7 Likes

Best critique of the left I’ve seen in ages. It’s painfully accurate. I can’t find the Facebook post now, so it’s from memory.

On a dark, rainy night, Steve finds himself in the middle of nowhere, cold and wet and tired. Straight ahead the road forks in two, one fork to the right and another to the left. Steve knows he lives up the left hand path, right the at the far end of it. But has no idea how to get home beyond that.

There is a bus stop, and two bus companies run buses, the red company and the blue company. The red buses go up the left hand path, and the blue buses go up the right hand path. They turn up every five hours.

The red bus arrives and the guy flags it down.

“Hi. Are you going up the left hand path?” asks Steve.

“We are” says the driver.

“Brilliant” says Steve. “I live at 52 Lamcote Gardens. Please take me home”

“I’m sorry mate. I can’t take you to your door. But we’re going in that direction. Are you getting on?”

“You need to take me to my door”

“You don’t seem to understand. There are lots of people on the bus and they all live in different houses. Nobody gets to go direct to their door. Everyone has to walk a bit of the way. But we go roughly in the right direction, and everyone gets closer to home than they would otherwise.”

“But I want to go straight to my door”

“But if I take you direct to your door, then loads of people are going to realise that this bus isn’t going anywhere close to their door anymore, and they’ll get off the bus”.

“I don’t care about that” says Steve. “You should take me to where I need to be”.

The driver starts getting a bit shirty with Steve. “Look” he says “The red bus can’t run if I only go to one house. No-one will want to get on it. And what’s more, people will start getting on the blue bus, if that feels like it’s going to get them closer to their home”

“So what” says Steve. “Let them get on the blue bus. That’s the best bus for them anyway. They shouldn’t be welcome on the red bus. The red bus should just exist to get me to Lamcote Gardens”

“It’s funny you should say that”, says the Driver. “A couple of years ago, we had a Driver called Jeremy, and he would only run the bus to Lamcote Garden’s. Everybody except a couple of people who lived at Lamcote Gardens stopped using the red bus and the company nearly folded”.

Steve thinks about this. “Well, maybe more people should live on Lamcote Gardens then. If everyone lives on Lamcote Gardens like me, then the bus could go there and it would be fine”.

“That would be nice” says the driver. “But they don’t”

“Are you going to take me to Lamcote Gardens?”

“No”.

“Right” says Steve “Fuck you. You’re no better than the blue bus. I’m getting off”

“What do you mean we’re no better than the blue bus? They go up a completely different road - they’ll get you nowhere near Lamcote Gardens on the blue bus”.

“I’m obviously not getting that, am I” says Steve. “As there are no buses that take me straight to Lamcote Gardens, I won’t be getting on any bus”.

“You’re an idiot” says the driver. “I can take you closer to your house, and you’ll have to walk a bit of the way, but it’s surely better than sitting in the cold all night getting rained on”

“I would rather sit in the cold, in the rain, and go nowhere, than get on a bus that isn’t going exactly where I need it to”.

With that, Steve steps off the bus and sits on the kerb while the red bus disappears off into the distance.

Five hours pass. Steve is cold, wet, tired, and miserable. But eventually he sees the red bus rolling up again. He gets up and flags it down.

“Hello” says Steve. “Please take me to 52 Lamcote Gardens”

7 Likes

I’m just wondering about the turnout, from afar.

Did the rules change in now requiring a photo id? If so, I wonder if some work has been done on the impact that had?

Yes it resulted in a landslide victory for Labour and a wipe out for the Tories.

1 Like

Yes. Local elections last year i think was first to need ID. Biggest impact was mostly on older voters and some armed forces (who have ID accepted in most places but some reason wasnt covered by the rules). So conservative ministers up in arms about impact on their supporters.

Free ID is available for those that dont have suitable one available. Overall impact negligable as most if not all those turned away reportedly came back with ID.

Some tweaks made to those rules such as for Armed Forces, but enforced again. No issues that i recall this time round.

There has been some research done from last year. Cant remember the org though.

1 Like

For me, the best analogy of left wing politics is Life Of Brian, or specifically the People’s Front Of Judea sketch.

Anyway. Voter suppression is estimated to have disenfranchised ip to 400,000 according to this article:

2 Likes

Tbf, I think some would argue that the red bus was originally set up to go Lamcote Gardens, and whilst people may be willing to accept stopping along the way, and having to walk the last stretch, the fact that the bus now takes in half the blue route as well has really got their knickers in a twist.

However, I wouldn’t argue that. I’m all for pragmatism.

1 Like