UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

I’d cut it up to tiny pieces and send it to Farage 1 piece per week

That would be his weekly wank sorted.

2 Likes

Hard is different for people. For example, getting up to get your unemployment benefits is for some, while choosing the colour for the guest bedroom in the 2nd holiday home in Trinidad is for others… I’ve met so many people who say they have worked hard to get where they are and for me it is always the same story of « I’m special and so is my story ». For me, everyone’s story is unique and, yes, worthy - from Trump’s to Gandhi’s. Living to keep up with (or going past) the Jones’ is is a path to misery…

Ultimately there seem to be two things in play.

1. We carry the misery we want.
  2. There’s never enough money and there’s never too much money.
3 Likes

I don’t know about her portrait, but I would have her voice banished, a bit like they did with Gerry Adams in the 1980s. Starmer should bring it in a law banning her voice from being broadcast.

Seriously, there was a clip of her on the telly the other week and it is like fingers down a blackboard. I was so glad when some actress started overdubbing her in German.

2 Likes

I accept I’m probably the rare exception, but I’d actually be more inclined to go to pubs and spend more time at them if I could sit outside and not have to deal with smoke.

3 Likes

There is a pub in Liverpool, somewhere near Moorfields, that has an open square in the centre with covered tables that still have ash trays on them. It’s within the letter of the law, but I find the smoke gets everywhere.

I can see that you may still want somewhere for smokers to go but it should be away from other staff and customers.

Interestingly, when I last went through Charles de Gaulle airport, I noticed that there was a large glass box inside the terminal for all the smokers to go. It struck me, that when I was a kid, they used to design these things to test cigarettes on beagles. Now they do it on Frenchmen.

7 Likes

And seen as the devil incarnate by many more.

My personal opinion is that he is free to use whatever portraits he wants where he deems they best fit, as long as he doesn’t destroy the ones he chooses to remove from being on display.

4 Likes

I was not at my best yesterday. Apologies all.

14 Likes

It’s quite common for incoming Prime Ministers to move the pictures around. It’s a total non-story, but it is a smart bit of politics by Starmer, who still seems to be regarded as being to the right of Oswald Mosley by many on the left.

5 Likes

Have never noticed them in Europe, but in Asia and the Middle East they are a big thing. Teipai AIrport in particular has great ones that are open air, so the smoke dispates really quickly

2 Likes

Hope you’re feeling better!

2 Likes

The biggest reason why people have stopped going to pubs is that nobody has any money and the prices have skyrocketed.

If the pub industry wants to protect itself it needs to look at the insane prices pubs charge.

3 Likes

Complaining about smoking while, in the same post, mentioning travelling by aeroplane?

The irony.

2 Likes

Business trip, unfortunately. I have yet to convince management of the joy of ships.

2 Likes

Haven’t they heard of Skype, Teams, etc? :thinking:

1 Like

They have now! I was actually trying to remember when that flight to CdG was and it must have been 2018 because I was carrying data on a diplomatic passport.

2 Likes

You used to be a diplomat? I suppose that now you’re down the laundromat.

1 Like

I used to be a civil servant, mostly involved with data and stats. On occasion, I had to carry data around on disks, tapes or whatever the format was at the time. In theory, this was never meant to leave your person so I had a diplomatic stamp on my passport so that I could go through security checks without having to be parted from my possessions (and data).

Contrary to what some would have you believe, UK government does take data security seriously (although by comparison Germany is off the scale). You can imagine my shock when it transpired that the UK government were actually conducting all their business via Whatsapp.

4 Likes

Pretty much it. Brewery’s have screwed themselves. Sister in law used to run pubs. As soon as she made any money the rent went up.
Also super markets who can sell beer at costs that pubs cant compete with.

2 Likes

For the past 2/3 years we’ve had minimum pricing in the supermarkets in Ireland where the price of beer went up by at least 70% per can and pubs are still struggling to get customers in, while price of the pint has also gone up.

2 Likes