UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Dang, that feels like pub culture has been killed off

1 Like

The kids don’t drink the way we did.It’s too expensive for them and they have more things to do.

6 Likes

Also, more and more younger people are going teetotal.

I actually honestly often love a good mocktail better than a cocktail.

1 Like

Fixed!

1 Like

1 Like

About that…

1 Like

There are things cheaper than drugs you can do to get you out of your head.

Oh definitely, mine was merely observing that the cost and availability of drugs is massively different to when I was growing up and just started drinking and going out.

These days, you could easily spend more on booze than on coke, but not have to much difference in how messed up you get. In the 90’s a massive night on the piss would have still been cheaper for most people. And that is if you managed to find someone selling it.

These days you don’t even have to go looking as more often than not, people will just walk straight up and offer it - at least in London

1 Like

For what it’s worth, on the original topic, I think polling suggests that there is quite a strong majority of support for the proposal, with only Reform voters as a group having a majority against (and even then it’s 41-54).

We made that shift here about 6-7 years ago. Lots of anguish, owners screamed about their need for their ‘smoking porches’ (which in winter were basically rooms). Most of those have disappeared now.

2 Likes

https://x.com/ProfKarolSikora/status/1829136911429955778?t=89QYA2inOFf5CXmVi_PBOg&s=03

3 Likes

Reading match day posts on here for example?

4 Likes

That’s fine, and if there was any way to encase smokers in a plastic bubble so that their habit only poisoned themselves and not everyone around them then let them crack on.

3 Likes
1 Like

Thanks to Redalways. I am keeping my powder dry. Long Covid sucks but no excuse to be a dick.

Except Angela Rayner. Odious. Second only to Nicola Sturgeon. Bed for me. How many times ca I use long Covid as an excuse?

I’m glad all restaurants and pretty much all bars here banned smoking inside along time. I remember the ole days requesting non smoking section and still smelling those fumes. Whenever I go into a smoking bar (once every 3 years) my eyes just start to water non stop.

1 Like

I remember a flight. Row behind smokers. Now lighting up on a plane?

In fact i flew air Malawi. Someone genuinely started a fire in the aisle to cook rice!

5 Likes