UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

The line of attack should be she’s spending money on absolute shite.

3 Likes

Is she the Chelsea or United DoF?

2 Likes

She’s the political equivalent

Fucking wretch

2 Likes

“Saving” (an impossibility) in the currency you issue Vs. cold pensioners who simply need extra nominal deposits in their accounts to pay their energy bill… Morons.

Surely the problem here is that she is going to see Oasis, rather than spending cash?

3 Likes

There’s shit parenting and then there’s this hidious bitch who’s fucked off to Ibiza whilst her son (12) is in court. Bang them both up on a disease ridden boat.

2 Likes

Yep.

That’s the best thing for this child.

Yesiree.

2 Likes

Fixed

Absolutely. Or we could give them loads of money and a free house and send them both to sessions aimed at improving their behaviour.

Fuck that. beat them both.

I’m a bit late but…

If you think you’re rich but still rely on earning a salary, then you haven’t been paying attention.

The wealth gap has reached unsustainable levels, monopolies have been allowed to thrive, the money is in the hands of a very few people.

Tax land. Churchill had the right idea on that at least. We probably have to tax shares as well now.

2 Likes

Interesting. I need to get my head around this a bit.

1 Like

Carelful what you wish for.
Fucking rats think we’re all stupid enough not to see right through them for what they really are.

What are you complaining about now?

Making sure the economy doesn’t crash? :white_check_mark:

Supporting Ukraine? :white_check_mark:

Leading on fighting climate change? :white_check_mark:

None of these are bad things.

3 Likes

Jesus wept.

https://x.com/JamesMelville/status/1830874751306473895?t=2sHT3ZINghBVyvC8UW2Peg&s=03

3 Likes

Not defending the decision, just noting that pensioners that dont receive any benefits will no longer receive the Winter fuel payment.

Not sure why they chose to go after that specifically, it feels clumsy and this with some other things has certainly given the RW press plenty to go at, and they have, big time.

@Dane just curious. How would you plug the £22bn hole left by the previous government?

Personally, the row surrounding who knew and who didnt about the hole in the finances an interesting thread to pull

1 Like

*If the WFP really did initially make no bones about a pensioner’s income and wealth, then these means-tested measures are a no-brainer. Keeping them in place is nothing short of ageist. Sunak was looking to do something similar (the same?) as Starmer but backed out, likely knowing pensioners were his only remaining voting base leading into the election.

But from what I’ve read on the gov.uk website you already need to be on a low income to get it? You need to be getting one of the income supports, so I don’t see what the major change is, nor how they are going to save much on it…

I thought it was given to all pensioners born before 1958?
Screenshot from Channel 4 news article on it.

I heard an argument that it would would encourage those that don’t claim the pension credit, but that should do, to claim. I can see the logic in it, but it probably doesn’t address why those people don’t claim it in the first place.

I would have thought that a smarter way of doing this would be to add the winter payment to the state pension so that it becomes taxable.

It’s the first round of the Conservative leadership election this afternoon.

Tory MPs will vote at 15:00, with the result expected shortly afterwards.

Badenoch, Cleverly, Jenrick, Patel, Stride and Tugendhat are the six candidates; one of them will be eliminated this afternoon and the second round of voting will take place next week.

The last pair standing will be presented to the party membership and the final result is expected on 2nd November.

1 Like