UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

He’d stop sending money to Bongo Bongo land

2 Likes

Honestly I dont know. It feels a bit like going after something easy i.e. something can guarantee no matter the reputational cost rather than some other big headline type issue that might have mixed results.

They literally have nothing left, do they?

1 Like

All governments will do the unpopular stuff in the first term.

We’ll have to wait until the budget to see what they have. It wouldn’t surprise me if they are putting serious money into a home energy efficiency package. That has a huge positive effect in terms of cost savings, economic boost and environmental impact and it is probably something that they could justify having on the investment side rather than current spending.

4 Likes

That’s what happens when you get reduced to so few MPs, the choices aren’t great. I’d imagine someone like Tugendhat won’t last very long, given that the election effectively got rid of so many of the more traditional Conservatives rather than the loonies.

2 Likes

Replying here because it feels more relevant here. I think this is interesting in the light of the above discussion, because it seems as though the warnings from the more moderate Conservatives are correct. That the Conservative Party voting base doesn’t actually lean that far right, so any leadership candidates trying to do so are merely trying to become leaders of the Reform platform rather than the Conservative platform.

I wonder if it will also result in the eventual extinction of the Conservative Party at this rate.

4 Likes

20% of Labour voters would vote for Trump…

:flushed::flushed::disappointed:

3 Likes

And 16% of the Lib Dems would!

2 Likes

I honestly wonder quite often what the proportion of voters who are “football team” voters are. As in, my father voted Labour, his father voted Labour, etc., or “we are a Conservative family”, as opposed to actually examining each party’s platforms and their values. It strikes me whenever I see a lot of people being interviewed, that their personal values have often never been represented by the party they seem to only ever vote for, and their votes are always a binary of voting for that party or not voting at all.

This strikes me as a phenomenon that naturally results from that.

2 Likes

Well, I suspect that is what the residual conservative vote is. I mean it is hardly the party of Disraeli or Churchill now.

2 Likes

An actual shit show. I could equally put this in the climate thread. This is a screenshot i took Monday morning of the Surfers Against Sewage app I now use to track shit, literally.

For the record Wales has far less discharges than the south coast and south west.

3 Likes

I’ve voiced my disgust on this issue in the past.

Fucking cunts.

They should be in prison.

1 Like

I’ve had enough of this shit.

3 Likes

Infuriating!

1 Like

But but but what about what about…….

1 Like

Set up in Wales is different. Welsh Water is a non profit organisation. Still not performing well though. Other than looking to streamline costs and perhaps charging for water sent to England its higher bills and a heap of work bringing up the condition and/ or redesigned of assets.

I should add that i suspect that discharges are possibly above the allowed amount. If they are then, yes, jail.

Prosecutions now I wonder?

1 Like

Most of the key points of the report basically say that those in positions of responsibility couldn’t give a shit. The criticism of the fire brigade seems to be that they relied on everyone else having done their job. I’m not sure what they are meant to do about that. Most of the fire safety rules are in place as a result of previous disasters but they seem to expect the fire brigade to respond as if they never happened.

Are they now meant to assume that all fires would be the same as the Manchester Woolworths disaster?

3 Likes

State pension is a benefit klaxon

Which one is more serious, the (X) or the (!)?

Either way, that is pretty terrible. These days we can swim in the Ottawa River, except right after large rainfall (raises bacterial count from runoff)