UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

We have the same discussion here, with our far right party trying everything they can to have that aide diminished. The argument which often comes up in favour of maintaining that aide, is that any targeted assistance in a foreign country will help people to make a living in their own country, and will prevent them from trying to come to Europe. In the end, it will be cheaper that way, rather than being forced to help these same people when they are at your doorstep.

4 Likes

Bufoon :rofl:

https://x.com/ArchRose90/status/1831298900902215824?t=WLn2rvO-lN_FSPLSmoT8ig&s=03

Arconic , the company which made the cladding panels on the tower’s exterior, is found to have “deliberately concealed” the safety risk.

Their response: " * Arconic, which supplied the cladding, says it will continue to engage with further legal processes but rejects “any claim” that its subsidiary Arconic Architectural Products (AAP) “sold an unsafe product”. A statement continued: “AAP did not conceal information from or mislead any certification body, customer or the public""

3 Likes

Priti “Vacant” Patel is the first one eliminated.

4 Likes

Jesus wept. Are we now playing fast and loose with the very definition of “unsafe product”?

Is it like the US FDA regulation that says if a food product contains fat content below a certain percentage point then you can legally call the product “fat-free”?

I think the key issue, or way it works is whether they claimed a higher fire resistance than it was and then pushed that narrative.

There are design codes that define categories for fire resistance (time based) and products are tested and certificated against those standards.

2 Likes

No future for her :wink:

2 Likes

Well, she did act like the Antichrist towards civil servants

2 Likes

Foreign aid budget is about ÂŁ15bn of which the home office spends about ÂŁ4bn on refugees in the UK.

As for pension credit the government is frequently running campaigns to get people to claim it. I’m not sure there is a way to know who qualifies until the claim is made.

Turns out it was 4 times before he realised they were all laughing at him.
Embarrassing

1 Like

Yeah not great but Sunak also claimed they left the economy in a “robust position”

They laughed at that as well.

I’m really not a fan of how the uk does politics and ultimately how it governs itself. I’m becoming @cynicaloldgit mk2

2 Likes

5 Likes

I worked in fire resistance testing for many years. Never saw a test jimmied, Standard altered, testing method conveniently written or fundamental physics blatantly ignored. Nope, never.

“A” problem is that every rated product can’t be tested in every situation. For example a fire door. They’re rated by time by being built into an 3m2 frame in a fire resistance furnace that’s then driven through a specific time/temp curve (depending on the standard) with all temps and propagation monitored. Great. Standard test for a standard product. But in the real world, what’s in the room? A sofa? A bed? Carpet? Tile? Wallpaper? Granted this is internal not external but the same’s true for cladding. How it performs in a standard test should be known but unless you test it in every single installation, you can’t know for sure. And you can’t because every installation is different because of the changes in the actual building.

Worked on a project once where a 3 bed detached building was built 3 times with 3 different furnishing types. My advice? Be really REALLY careful with sources of ignition near a 3 piece foam couch :flushed::flushed::flushed:

Please don’t. Fight the urge. One is more than enough.

2 Likes

It’s worth seeing the report, because there has been dishonesty all round.

Kingspan is the market leader and they have a product called K15 which supposedly fire resistant to a standard that could be used but in reality was not suitable for this use.

Celotex is a rival firm that had tried to compete and sold a similar board that they claimed was fire resistant, but this only passed the test when used with fire-resistant magnesium oxide boards. This information was not passed on to the contractor.

Additionally there were two similar fires in Dubai which the Arconic, who made the panels, knew about but didn’t change their products.

All of this comes down to people doing things on the cheap, and this is rife in the UK construction industry. I suspect that, for the most part, they know that they will get away with things because fires like these are rare. It’s just that when they do occur, the results are catastrophic. Safety standards are there for a reason.

7 Likes

Yep. That and inept politicians.

3 Likes

I saw a series of tests on a door set that first lasted well over the required time. They cheapened the design several times to get it to last 31 minutes. Business is business.

3 Likes

There is an old saying that, “When a metric becomes a target it fails to be a good metric.”

4 Likes