UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Clearly not

I presume that your first link is to establish that sheā€™s currently on >Ā£150k salary?

Honestly, depending on the amounts that sheā€™s claiming, Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s big a deal relatively, because she also does have a point that she has to maintain a home in her constituency but also has to be in London so much of the time that sheā€™s paying twice, effectively, just to do her job. While Iā€™m in favour of means-testing expenses claiming, Iā€™m also really cognisant that if you overdo the principle, then it becomes a reality that one has to be independently wealthy in order to be an MP, which is not good for democracy either.

2 Likes

All very well explained away.

Not sure such an apologist counter would have been so forthcoming if the other mob were still in charge though.

Not sure that many of the other mob are of such modest means.

In any case, Iā€™ve been arguing over and over again that their execution of this plan has been a shitshow. Not sure how much of a defence theyā€™re getting here?

I find it difficult to disagree with you being honest. If the message from day 1 had been about means testing the WFP then the press and whoever wouldnt have much to lean on. Labour went full on with the black hole which is kind of ok but not when you ā€œappearā€ to be taking cash from those that need it.

I do question sometimes how clever or thorough they are with planning and messaging. The Tories were terrible at it. Labour have royally screwed this up.

I always dread a labour government getting in power and here we go again, Starmer doing the exact opposite to what he promised, probably a bigger fraud than Blair.

1 Like

So youā€™d prefer the last lot?

1 Like

Yeah really, the hysteria is ridiculous. Theyā€™ve only been in government for a couple of months ffs.

8 Likes

I can understand it. I remember having the same feeling when the pig molester won in 2010. Funny how that turned out.

Well done. Absolutely unforced own goal. So much for the promise of more competent government.

5 Likes

Yep.

A proper stumble and they deserve a big kick up the arse for it.

Thing is, I have every faith they will actually learn from this.

2 Likes

After the initial reaction, they could have reassessed, apologised, and either change the policy or make it clearer what the goal is and what the strategic vision for this was.

None of that, just repeating the same things over and over again.

2 Likes

I actually donā€™t get why they have announced this up front rather than leave it with the budget. (adding the amount to the state pension is less controversial).

The only thing I can think of is that they need to something really controversial in the budget and they are getting everyone talking about this knowing that it will be mitigated.

2 Likes

That may lean in to the idea of it being used to purposely drive up Pension Credit claims?

2 Likes

While youā€™re thinking about that, Iā€™m just thinking Hanlonā€™s Razorā€¦

2 Likes

Labour are going to have to dot every i and cross every t to the nth degree.*

The media treatment of them thus far has been awful, and having never lived here under a Labour government, I had not appreciated just how fucking stacked the deck is. The Tories in charge since I have been here are fucking criminals, that much is clear. They have utterly pillaged the joint and salted the earth on the way out for good measure. And yet, I could easily see them back in five yearsā€™ timeā€¦

*I fully acknowledge any government should be doing this.

5 Likes

The thing is that there are meant to be advisors to ministers that hoover up that kind of mess. Tony Blairā€™s press secretary, Alastair Campbell, had a maxim that, when dealing with bad publicity, one should determine how an issue is going to end and get there as fast as possible. Of course, this doesnā€™t work if the government are intent on doing something monumentally stupid.

2 Likes

Labour party morning meeting, order of business.

1. Log onto www.wingit.com

Iā€™ll file this under ā€˜40 new hospitalsā€™.

BBC News - Government will not fund Casement for Euro 2028

2 Likes

Better than www.fourteenyearsofcompleteincompetence.com

1 Like