UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Not unless there is reform, which Alliance are pushing for. Currently the power-sharing agreement means that it has to be parties from either side of community in first minister and deputy first minister (which are equal) roles. The problem is that they have a veto, and also if either decides to walk away the whole thing collapses. SF did this previously and DUP currently so effectively we’ve had 7 years of the past 20 with no government.

It’s really bad currently as CHH forcing through an undeliverable budget to try and force them back, and every public service is being decimated.

I appreciate how ridiculous this sounds to people outside of NI.

Stunned at how well Conservatives are doing. A blood bath was predicted, this is more a bad cut. If this were the week after Boris the twat left, they’d still be on zero.

Hands up here, who is shocked that @Klopptimist is eating up the ‘Tory bloodbath’ myth that the Tory party probably created to save face and pretend they are exceeding expectations? I mean, I don’t know which random person came up with the 1000 lost seats prediction but that figure was rubbished by literally everyone in the UK well before these elections.

1 Like

Just looked at the latest results and they have lost a third of all councillors. I’ve no idea how representative that is as only a quarter have declared and this isn’t the entire country voting. However, that sounds more like Everton winning the transfer window.

1 Like

Wasn’t that 1000 seat figure from Greg Hands?

As far as I can see only about 25% of the results have been counted/ declared, so too early to really say what the overall picture is

Not listened to anything / watched anything yet today, just looked at the count on the BBC so there’s nothing for me to “eat up”

The huge rise in Lib Dem votes shows exactly how shit Labour are :joy::joy::joy::joy:

I’d suggest that it shows were the traditional Conservative vote is bleeding to.

5 Likes

Exactly.

That’s most likely a factor of being areas where Lib Dem are traditionally the main rival to conservatives, which if correct would make it unlikely for labour candidates to win no matter how strong the support is for them nationally.

1 Like

@Klopptimist, your posting is all over the place today, a bit like how the Tories have been all over the place since 2016. You are contradicting yourself. A lot.

I wouldn’t have said that the Lib Dems are exactly aligned to traditional Conservative voters. Maybe economically, but socially?

I think the traditional Conservative voter is largely homeless and they have been for quite a while.

2 Likes

No, my stance is as follows:
Conservatives are doing a good job of rebuilding post boris.
Labour are so shit that people would rather vote for the irrelevance (in recent history) of Lib Dem.

No contradiction, just a cold logical assessment of the current situation. I’d add unbiased too.

People who would likely vote Labour in a Tory stronghold are likely to vote for whoever is most likely to get rid of the incumbent.

Someone who has traditional Conservative views is very unlikely to vote Labour, at least for economic reasons. They are more likely not to vote at all.

2 Likes

So KS isn’t all things to all men?

Nothing To See Here GIF by Giphy QA

Or how good the Daily Mail, Express and Telegraph are.

Truth is the UK political system is basically a binary vote. You know this.

Are homeless people allowed to vote?

1 Like

They could actually lose close to 1000 seats.
Looking forward to @Klopptimist posting ‘stunning result for Tories, could have been 2000’