UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

This is the messaging I would have liked to see a month ago, the generally horrendous state of affairs with the media, notwithstanding…

7 Likes

The thing that annoys me the most out of all of this, is that it’s all focused on stories. There seems to be precious little data on how many pensioners will lose this payment, and what their financial demographics are like.

I hope that the government at least based their decision on some data although I’m not optimistic at all.

6 Likes

Yeah, well said.

Article i read gave a mixture of data from government and age Uk.

Just under half of pensioners are in top half of population as a whole by income.

9.4m pensioners would have recieved the payment if the cut had not been announced (About 8.4m households?).

Age UK estimate 2.5m affected most by the cut - about 900k of which are entitled to Pension Credit but dont claim it (apparently about 37% of those entitled dont).

There might be a more detailed breakdown available somewhere such as via age uk perhaps?

2 Likes

Sky reporting that one of the early release prisoners was arrested the same day for sexual assault.

A Ministry of Justice spokesperson said:

“We had no choice but to introduce emergency measures, releasing some prisoners a few weeks or months early”

A shower of Cunts also but these cunts are a lying shower of cunts.

And the others weren’t?

Your memory seems very short. 14 years of utterly ripped off and lied to and you seem to have forgotten it all.

1 Like

I’m in my 60’s and don’t like what he is doing especially to elderly and today it’s rumoured if a pensioner has more than 14k in the band he’s not entitled to the state pension under his government.

1 Like

Where did you hear that?

For the record i’m calling bs on that

4 Likes

Perhaps you or your source is confusing state pension with Pension Credit? That has savings thresholds, not sure what their maximum is though. It’s usually reduced on a gradual basis i.e £1 of benefit for £x savings (or income).

they’re not going to remove the state pension from existing pensioners.

3 Likes

But you speak for yourself, just because you are incredibly fortunate not to be skint, it does not apply to everyone.

Your second comment is without fact, or basis. For example a quick internet search will show you that the number of billionaires (UK) has dropped over recent years.

I really don’t understand the point you are trying to make in the first paragraph I have quoted.
You reference the people being an issue in paragraph 1 and then state in paragraph 2 that the UK’s issues have nothing to do with the population.
I am not trying to mis quote you here, but want to understand the point you are making and respond in kind.

Paragraph 1 is about people’s attitudes/views/behaviours.
Paragraph 2 is talking about population size - and the claim that we are overpopulated.

Thanks, I kind of got that, just got lost with the whole natural order, deference is owed etc.

Just out of curiosity would you consider yourself to be ‘clinging to some notion that there is a natural order of things and that deference is owed to one’s betters.’

I agree to a certain extent.

People blaming the Tories for everything that has gone wrong over the last 14 years may need to look at themselves and the opposition. Why has there been a Cons. government for the last 14 years? maybe because the opposition has not provided a strong enough argument to vote for them. In fact, Labour had a lower popular vote in 2024 than 2019, which suggests that people haven’t changed their vote/support to Labour, just taken it away from the Cons by voting for Remain/Independent candidates.
I am actually intrigued and hopeful of what Labour can achieve. Iv said it before, they kind of a free hit. They didn’t really have a mandate, apart from ‘change’. I don’t expect unicorns but Labour need to take full advantage of the position they are in. At the moment they can make unpopular decisions and lay the blame/reasoning on the Cons. hopefully they pull their punches wisely.

1 Like

Big picture, there is a basic question. Over the past 15 years, the public sector cut of GDP has been growing as aggressively as anywhere else in the G20, to the point now that the UK is one of the most ‘statist’ economies in the G20. At 44%, it is a hefty number and (I need my avatar!) numbers don’t lie. An enormous amount of value is being extracted from the UK economy on behalf of a public sector that has no intention of delivering that value to the public. The simple fact of the matter is the British state extracts a percentage of GDP comparable to more generous European welfare states, yet delivers far less.

4 Likes

Or perhaps, as you have just demonstrated, the societal structures that @SBYM was ranting about, combined with the right-wing propaganda machine, makes virtually everything Labour’s fault.

2 Likes

Can’t blame some people being angry.
A section of society “loaned” their vote to Labour, just to get the Tories out, and got shafted as a thankyou.

I speak for myself? No shit.

And yes, my initial post was incorrect. My bad, correction issued.

‘Number’ should have been ‘wealth’.

https://x.com/NEF/status/1660578430155386880

Oh no…that graph doesn’t look so good for us at all, does it…

Where did that money come from, I wonder??

4 Likes