UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

It is 100% not a free hit.

The Tories (as any opposition party does) will attack Labour for every error, misstep or blunder.

The difference now is that an almost wholly complicit media will do the kicking for them.

And yes, Labour has been unelectable for quite some time now. That’s how elections work.

Thing is, being shit in opposition does not mean what the Tories have done to the UK over the past 14 years is any less negligent. One of the richest countries in the world and it is a fucking dumpster fire.

2 Likes

BTW @Lynch04

My initial post about billionaires referred to ‘recent years’…

The number of billionaires in the UK peaked in 2022. Would one call 2022 ‘recent’?

1 Like

RANTING??!?!?!

WHAT THE FUCK, DUDE?!!?!?!?!?!?

WHY CAN’T I POST IN ALL CAPS?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

AH NO WORRIES…AN UPSIDE DOWN SMILEY WILL FIX IT!

:upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Thats what media do.
Pretty sure they got stuck into Tory blunders too.

2 Likes

You brought up ‘overpopulation/over stretching of resources’ as an ‘elephant in the room’.

I responded to that by saying that there is enough wealth in the UK to deal with the population, and the resources are only stretched because, as I said, the wealth of the UK has been funnelled upwards by the billionaire class and their disgusting acolytes.

The elephant in the room is the ruling class that exists because the UK loves a bended knee. The King got an extra 45m quid this year…hmmmmm…

1 Like

Yep.

But it ain’t the same, not even close.

Perspective, depending where ones bias lies.

I dont have bias, I despise them all.

1 Like

You are honest and consistent about that!

1 Like

Ps. And Brexit.

That is one motherfucking HUGE elephant in the room, and the cunt has shat on the carpet, too.

2 Likes

Which, I believe you will find is now commonly refered to as ‘doing a Trump in Marine One’ :wink:

2 Likes

so just from the layman, in the antipodes, with no skin in the game…really alot of fluff and no tangiables?

as much as itll get me pelters on a left leaning forum, a new government immediately signing off on public servant and government workers negotiations within two months is not this massive victory - ill explain;

the dance (in aus) is; the public service workers get wind of a change of government from conservative to one that is beholden to union donations, they make a play for not insignificant better conditions and renumeration, current government push back, new government come in and ‘resolve’ the ‘difficult negotiations’ quickly by negotiating a deal, and get a political win…its just a charade though…

ahem…

That is taking a very basic view of the landscape.

Public Sector have had 35% wage cut over the last 14 years of tory government. Any negotiation was never going to fix that in 1 swipe of the pen. But for the new government and PS unions and workers to have come to a deal so quickly means that very significant steps were offered up to bring public sector wages back to parity.

The other option would have been to continue allowing public sector wages to run well under an acceptable level meaning you don’t attract new blood, or worse, the new blood you do attract are coming in with ulterior motives, profiting themselves and sciming their own little bit of extra from those in need

3 Likes

Again, a reminder that Labour have been in power for a couple of months, and were always going to inherit a skipfire.

This feels like kicking off at Klopp and wanting him sacked because he hadn’t fixed everything three games after taking over from Rodgers.

4 Likes

The two main disputes that they resolved had been dragging on for years. The settlements were just the minimum that they were due.

In terms of the NHS staff, they were bleeding personnel to other countries, noticeably Australia. They needed a fast settlement for purely market reasons.

In terms of the rail workers, that dispute was causing major infrastructure disruption which impacts on the rest of the economy.

The Tories were dragging both these on for ideological reasons. The new government has simply applied market theory and cut to the chase.

The real test is whether they can establish mechanisms to prevent these disputes in future.

5 Likes

And there it is.

So people voted in a government but the fact they robbed the country to its knees is the fault of those that werent elected and those that voted.

Psst. Goverments arent supposed to enrich themselves off the back of the public they serve.

3 Likes

[quote=“Arminius, post:8978, topic:3448, full:true”]
Big picture, there is a basic question. Over the past 15 years, the public sector cut of GDP has been growing as aggressively as anywhere else in the G20, to the point now that the UK is one of the most ‘statist’ economies in the G20. At 44%, it is a hefty number and (I need my avatar!) numbers don’t lie. An enormous amount of value is being extracted from the UK economy on behalf of a public sector that has no intention of delivering that value to the public. The simple fact of the matter is the British state extracts a percentage of GDP comparable to more generous European welfare states, yet delivers far less.

Yeah big problem. Is it the fault of the public sector or those who manage it?

Theres a number of issues here.

1. Public contracts are more expensive. Thats down to procurement procedures and rules that need to be adhered to.
  2. The private contracts need to be administered and managed. That requires project managers and money.
  3. Typically a private contractor will target in the region of 40% gross profit.
  4. I also bet the contracts have more holes in them than my edam brain.

Yes you do need an avatar. I thought you were someone else for a moment

3 Likes

:heart_eyes:

Yes, but I liked Klopp.
Plus, he didn’t come in and immediately have Lijnders remove any benefits from the lowest earners at the club.

1 Like

I was thinking maybe a korma thumbnail in order to sow confusion

7 Likes