UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

I may be wrong but aren’t the figures based on how many are printed and not how many are sold? Many get returned for pulping don’t they?

Figures here show hefty declines year on year for print runs.

HAHAHAHAHA

Speculative!?!?!

FMD

The rich are richer than ever and double income households can’t afford to eat and have the heating on.

Where do YOU think that money came from??

https://nrs.co.uk/nrs-print/readership-and-circulation-trends/readership-vs-circulation/

It doesn’t say if it’s sold copies or not, but looking at that same article that you’ve linked, I think they usually count only those that don’t remain in inventory?

From the same article…

The main issue (pun unintended) is that these are print figures, while we don’t know what their online reach is.

And let’s not forget, it’s often not just the articles themselves, but also the headlines, since many people don’t actually bother reading the articles.

Those are based on unique hits on their website, not people watching the channel. I don’t know the exact methodology, but the article does say that the BBC hits include their entertainment output as well as the news site. It is possible the same applies to Sky.

I put the figures up because most people tend to receive their news online rather than via print news. It’s also worth noting that the period covers the UK general election.

Honestly, i dont know its an absolute monster of a mess now. I also work in construction (of sorts cuurently) but have been fortunate, or unfortunate enough to have seen it from every angle. Thats contractor, consultant, client inc. public sector.

Off the top of my head we really need to address procurement as I think most things will ultimately flow from there. Public service procurement whether its buying some coat hooks or a £100m construction project is just stupid in certain public sector arenas. If you built the exact same building but changed the client from the NHS to a private client you would cut your tender price by some 40% I bet. I think we’re beyond the point where “protecting public money” is costing more than the protection it delivers. But we’ve also seen the other end with Grenfell for example

But I’m not a fully privatised health system is the answer either. Not in the UK under the current “atmosphere” that exists with contractors and private organisations. They prioritise profit and shareholders over delivery and carry zero risk. We’ve seen that in the water industry. The risk thing is critical. You want and need contractors to carry risk. They screw up, they pay. Thats a bit thin, especially in service style contracts. You will find clients paying contractors / consultants to basically think about an up coming job. Thats crap and needs to stop.

1 Like

That opens up another can of worms. How do they determine where these viewers are from? I presume IP address-based geolocating, if not outright geolocation from device. I’m wary about the accuracy of such metrics, having worked for an advertising agency in the past.

1 Like

I sometimes watch Sky news, but not all that often. I have a digital subscription to the FT does that count as buying a newspaper?

They don’t mention their methodology but that would be a reasonable guess.

Lib Dems used to be a credible third party in as much it positioned itself equally between both Conservatives and Labour, often picking up seats in between elections when local turnout was low or people wanted to protest vote. Votes would then often go back to the main two parties during elections (or a higher turnout would overcome their votes)

However, once it formed the coalition in 2010 and went back on some of its electoral promises the party got hit hard, losing a lot of support. It’s leadership during the Brexit issues were poor with Jo Swinson even losing her seat in the 2019 election. Even now people talk about not voting Lib Dem because of what happened in 2010.

Lib Dems picked up votes from disenchanted conservatives and Labour swing voters who transferred their vote during this election. It will be interesting to see how much of that they can keep going forwards. Also, the emergence of the Greens as a possible voting option now they have won a significant seat in Bristol may further complicate their path forwards, as does perhaps the popularity of Reform.

2 Likes

The fact that the S*n is now a labour supporting paper makes it left wing now doesn’t it?:thinking:

1 Like

Perhaps it’s just an unprincipled rag that knows that the country was heading towards a Labour landslide and so it would be unwise for it to do say anything to the contrary?

5 Likes

No comments on Starmer meeting a facist leader for advice on dealing with immigration?

Misguided at best, idiotic and cruel at worst.

What more is there to say? It was wrong when the Conservatives were trying to adopt similar policies, it would be wrong now.

EDIT:

Also highly hypocritical given the Rwanda stance. The bigger question is, what is his government doing to establish a safe route for asylum claims? Nothing.

2 Likes

https://x.com/zoejardiniere/status/1835577301725032649?s=46&t=Tk6buFVfyHeITdfFRWCVMg

Even backbenchers aren’t defending it:

1 Like

Paying a person who abuses children in the most depraved way for the images (who admits it) walks freely from court. (Free as in not being slammed up) Cunt should do 10 years at the hands of all the other prisoners.

Oh but he had mental issues. Fuck off.

1 Like

Pointless without electoral reform and a government with such a huge majority is not going to allow that.

1 Like