UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

3 Likes

Ouch, take that Starmer.
Clock is ticking on this fraudulent twat.

https://x.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1840068589518209396?t=g3r-df4i4hxQT0xsis8h7g&s=03

She was always going to do this. It was just timing. As soon as she rebelled the Kings speech she has made her mark where she was going to stand.

Starmer will be glad she is gone as she was a liability. Her openly transphobic views (including to labour members) breaking Covid rules, controversial appearances in RT and GBNews meant she was a problem. Even under Corbyn she was nearly delselected.

She highlights a number of things in her resignation letter. Pity her historic voting record does not align with this. Looks like a self serving MP that used labour to get elected and will now do the rounds and probably join Reform or write for the Daily Mail.

Her criticism may be valid and will cause damage, but when talking about integrity and the left she certainly is not that.

Edit: just looked it up and this year she declared ÂŁ12,000 donations.

9 Likes

As a neutral and foreigner well loved by @cynicaloldgit :grimacing:, reading that letter, I feel alot of sensationalism, trying to trigger emotions rather than necessary facts. Alot of what she says seem to suggest that more than her should have been affected but yet so far only her has taken any sort of action, so was it as bad as what she says.

But similarly are what you are saying of her true or just another brushing off anyone who is not aligned with the party? Not a statement, but a question, so probably someone can provide another perspective?

I suspect that Starmer will be secretly delighted with Duffield’s resignation. One comment about her I saw online is that she wanted Starmer to sack her so that she could be a martyr but she lost patience with him.

Unfortunately, it means another constituency stuck with a self-serving dead duck MP. I wonder if they could try to remove her?

2 Likes

One thing that struck me in that letter was the accusation of nepotism. As far as I’m aware, of all the accusations levelled at him, this is a new one?

2 Likes

Frocks and skirts?

That’s some serious flame.

Was about to post something similar to this. Nail on the head.

1 Like

Crossing the floor or resigning/losing the whip should trigger an automatic by-election. Regardless of the party benefitting.

The idea that people vote for you as a person, and the party affiliation is temporary, is frankly bollocks. It’s tantamount to electoral fraud. The idea that you vote for a MP and then, within months, you are represented by someone taking the whip from a different party, or no-one at all is a disgrace.

4 Likes

I agree about voluntarily leaving the party but not for losing the whip which could be temporary and in any case it would deter anyone voting against their own party which isn’t great…we need all MPs to have the ability to challenge the government…

1 Like

Good news: surge in pensions credit claims means that fewer pensioners will be negatively affected by the fuel payments cut.

Bad news: Labour will still have to search somewhere else for the savings, and will have incurred a massive political cost for nothing. Unless it was their plan all along to raise such a ruckus about it so more people would claim the pensions credit they were eligible for (I highly doubt that, they’re not some Machiavellian chess grandmasters).

1 Like

I agree on the political cost, seems a waste of political capital for little gain this early in a new government. Regarding the savings themselves, i think they were meant to be more symbolic than anything - of a government willing to take hard decisions on how its money is being spent, and make sure the most in need is getting more help.

1 Like

Im sure I read somewhere (don’t know the exact figures), people on full state pension with no other income, wont qualify for winter fuel allowance.

People on reduced state pension, ie haven’t contributed enough to qualify, can apply for pension credit, which then takes their income above that of the full state pension, and get the winter fuel allowance.

Seems illogical if correct

@Dane was this it ?

I have sympathy for that, but should someone who stands as a party MP, wins as a party MP, and then serially rebels against everything the party does once in power really be said to be representing their constituents?

Copied from above post - This might be the reference

Jeremy says Hi Mascot

One example of why she might be rebelling.

https://x.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1840068031411581065?t=6fRxruU5Fzqb8BGvao7SlQ&s=03

3 Likes

I guess there are two ways of looking at it:

• Labour made promises after getting into power that they had no intention to honour.
  • Labour made promises before realising how deep a pile of shit the fiscal situation is thanks to the previous government.

Think people will mostly pick the ones they want to see from this, unfortunately.

1 Like