UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

You’re including in this synopsis the guy who wanted to paint over cartoons in a children’s asylum centre, and the woman who wants to scrap maternity leave?

3 Likes

I did not say I liked them or agreed with them. Just noting that opposition is so different. It’s a free swing. Hence give Labour time.

1 Like

Just to be clear, I’m just remarking about how politics is often based on impressions like these, not what candidates have actually done or proposed, nor whether their proposals are good ideas.

It’s a vibes-based business.

3 Likes

I could not agree more. It’s become soundbites and personality over substance and plan. Much driven by 24 hour news, internet news etc that needs a headline or a soundbite.

It leads to a lack of real debate and a lack of patience. The machine needs news today and change tomorrow.

2 Likes

Before the first world war, heart surgery was never tried because it was a known fact that it was too complex. Warfare is sadly the mother of invention. We’d probably have got there anyway but we wouldn’t have got to the moon without Hitler’s drive for wonder weapons. I’m not saying war is a bad thing, possibly a necessary evil, usually over who’s invisible friend is the hardest or where we all want to live.

Saw an interesting one about Israel on X. They turned off the iron dome to justify the upcoming slaughter. That was a hell of a rocket barrage though, you’d need a hell of a system to repel it.

It’s only a necessary evil if we accept that there’s no other way to focus all of society’s resources and efforts onto particular goals.

Just look at the speed with which the COVID vaccines were produced.

4 Likes

The speed of COVID was proportional for the need to get the planet back to work. Look, humans fight, we always have and we always will. What’s sport if not us for-filling our need to compete? Breed that out of us and we’re fucked. Soft times create soft men etc, sure you know the saying.

I was at a pro Palestine celebration a few months ago. A few wrong words were said on the stage (from somebody who was pro Palestine) and it was literally bloody warfare. Think pissed town 500 people fighting 1am. And these guys were all sober. The hatred and rage makes sane people do crazed things. Human nature.

1 Like

It’s fucking laughable listening to these clowns in Birmingham.
‘REVIEW AND REBUILD’ reads the big slogan in the background.
The 2 party system is dead, much like the country in general. Until this is addressed nothing will change, although it’s beyond fixing anyway.

This Cleverly fella is something else. I think he can save the world, and so does he.

1 Like

the iron dome is used for very short range stuff…i wonder if they turned this off to facilitate the larger sheilds better…

i know i wouldnt be looking to “X” for the answer though :wink:

3 Likes

I’m not but it is an interesting idea. If somebody fires hundreds of missiles at you in very quick succession, you need a phenomenal defense. Turn it off and you have a phenomenal justification for the next round of slaughter.

its certainly the type of ‘question’ peddled on media like 'X"

just to clarify, the iron dome defense system is for short range missiles though, so if they were going to turn anything off to ‘accept’ damage, why would they turn the one off that wasnt doing anything?

im no expert on the subject, but even i could ascertain that with my brief reading on the issue…

1 Like

System shoots small missiles at incoming missiles. Doesn’t matter how big they are or where they came from. Think about it, fire a small explosive at a big explosive. What happens?

thats great that you’ve explained what Iron Dome is intended to do (to short range missiles), i just want to make sure you are aware theres two other larger range defence sheilds as well and the attacks were from larger range?

regardless, im not here to discuss what the ideal defense system Isreal should use, im just merely pointing out that the ‘interesting idea’ posed by ‘X’ is pretty basic.

but lets humour them, lets Induldge ‘X’, lets assume Isreal were happy to accept damage as a strategic tack, why would they ‘turn the iron dome off’ and risk being found out, surely theyd leave it plugged in and make sure it failed in strategic locations?

1 Like

You also need to consider how the overall missile defense system works.

Iron Dome is used for short range missiles, David’s Sling counters medium range missiles and Arrow 2 deals with the long range missiles. Once they detect missile launch, the system will look to identify the missile into Balistic or Cruz (both have different flight capabilities) and then will look to calculate the expected target.

If the expected target is either civilian or military, then it will track the missile and shoot it down once it is within range, but many will be identified as hitting unpopulated areas which will be allowed to get through as the cost to shoot down a missile that is going to hit a deserted area is not practicle.

This is a good article explaining Israel’s Missile Defence System What are Israel’s Iron Dome, David’s Sling and Arrow missile defences? - BBC News

3 Likes

It is a load of bollocks though.

The key part of the MDS is once a launch has been detected it will estimate an impact zone, then will consider if said impact zone is critical enough to defend or if it can allow the missile to impact. Majority of missiles that do get through tend to land either in unpopulated areas in the desert or overshoot and land in the Med

1 Like

Is the UK under missile attack?

1 Like

no, but its maybe relevant or ironic or somesuch, that we feel the need to challenge ideas from ‘X’ when they are floated…

1 Like

Justification to who?

simply coming under missile fire would be enough for Israel.

1 Like

I think it would be justification for anyone to retaliate. It’s just that Israel tends to miss a few steps of the escalation ladder.

1 Like