UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Unlike the BMI of the people being targeted.

And seeing disabled people doing gymnastics (as we see in the Paralympics) is a shining testament to the human spirit. Seeing fat bastards falling off the pommel horse would be funny as fuck.

How’s that low?

So long as it isn’t extreme mental gymnastics.

Tory voters have gold, silver and bronze wrapped up in perpetuity there.

As low as deliberately freezing thousands of old people to death?

1 Like

I believe that’s -273.14

“One day, you will look back on your time as chancellor and you will want to remember the far-reaching changes you made – not the political compromises that others will urge on you.”

Sage words from Mervyn King, former governor of the Bank of England, to his erstwhile employee, Rachel Reeves.

2 Likes

Now if Sir Keir could come up with a jab for stupidity… I would be totally on board with him then but the lard arse one is certainly a great start.

I propose that they trial the combined vaccine on Bozo.

2 Likes

Poorly devised policy versus distasteful comment?

I dont like either of them. I’d like to hope we’re a bit above that here. Clearly not

1 Like

Distasteful? Maybe in your mind. Odd place.

The biggest challenge is that junk food tends to be far cheaper than proper food.

Gregg’s isn’t popular because it’s quality !

15 years ago when I was a poor student and had a young baby we had vouchers. Which gave me about 50 quid I could spend on meat, fruit and milk. (Not junk food,beer etc)

For me that’s a far better system.

4 Likes

I’d pay all benefits in vouchers with ID requirements to use them. Very simple system which means benefits meant for kids have at least a chance of actually getting to them.

In the words of Jimmy Carr. A fat friend of mine told me he was taking something for his thyroid issue. “Pies?” I asked.

And so it begins.

If by “it” you mean “starting to make up for 45 years of economic mismanagement” then you’re right.

However, I suspect that that isn’t what you mean.

4 Likes

:joy:

I have no issue(s) with the Government making tough decisions, increasing taxes, cutting budgets. However, it is an issue if it is mis-managed, which as you have highlighted, has been a common rhetoric over the recent decades. So, I just hope for two things, firstly that Labour get most of their tough calls correct and secondly, that the tough calls do not result in people turning against them, from not seeing the long term plan.

2 Likes

I would agree with the Greggs statement, however, when onsite I tend to go there for Breakfast, mainly because as part of the deal the Coffee is reasonable priced and the size of the bap ideal :face_with_peeking_eye:.
I do feel a voucher system regarding benefits, would be better. It is just the amount of work/infrastructure/overheads as to how you would manage it. Also, how do you manage someone buying food with their vouchers and then selling it at a reduced value for cash?

*The following is not a direct reply to your email, just in general.
The problem (biggest challenge) I see here is a mix of convenience/laziness.
Junk food/takeaways are not always cheaper, especially when you increase the number of mouths. However, for a single individual it is more economical and easier to go to a Toby Carvery, than spend 4hrs and ££’s cooking at home.
My mate has 4 prestige motors sitting on his drive amongst other things, yet what do the Children eat, during the week. Takeaway or processed foods, mainly because it is easy. Unfortunately, extremely cheap processed foods like Rustlers/pot noodles are ideal, cheap and 2mins to “cook”.
The same mate, whom people may consider to be obese there are a lot of rich, steak eaters/red wine drinker’s (apologies for being stereotypical) who are overweight. It would be interesting to see the stats as to the number of successful obese people against the number of obese people who use it as a reason for not being able to work.
I do not have any facts to hand, but I would argue that with the UK becoming a predominantly service based economy, with employees increasingly working from home and the improvement in accessibility, that obese people have less obstacles to a career than they may have had in the past.

Liked it just for the link to the decline in local government workforce:

Calling @Redbj for his absolutely mind-boggling claim that there was fat to be trimmed in local government.

2 Likes

redbj Answering.

wastage at local council level in my immediate surrounds is still an ongoing issue.

claims like ‘mind boggling’ just confirm you are coming from an angle and i have serious doubts you want to scratch the surface…

mate…some of the onorous rules put on small development from councils , larger government bodies and utilities companies are contributing to the housing crisis…

i have no real problems with John doe the council maitenance officer…hes just there to do his job… its the bigger picture

Yeah it was because of the context in which you posted it.

Obesity has always been an issue that weigh heavily on me.

1 Like

The context of turning your post into a compliment to disabled athletes and joking at the expense of fat people. Nah, that’s just clever.