UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Yep, they have lost over a thousand seats now with about 5% of results still to be reported. That’s close to a third of their councillors gone.

John Grace , predictably gleeful … and very funny ;

Of, course I know they are from Red Dwarf. I watched it from the first episode to when it went shit.

That’s why I added whatever the real world example would be to the Reggie Hammond line.

Is Bedford Falls a reference to It’s a Wonderful Life? As a fan you’d obvious recall that in the novel version of Better Than Life, Lister is obsessed with the film, and upon returning to Earth settles in Bedford Falls to run a Kebab Shop with a descendent of Kristine Kochansky.

Obviously.

Woah Keir. Fucking steady on lad. I’ve watch enough Liverpool games to know you haven’t won anything at half time.

Ooohps…

1 Like

Great result for the Tories. Don’t forget that this was an election in which a single random political commentator, writing when people could still remember what a Liz Truss was, predicted they would lose a thousand seats. As it is, they have only lost 962. So they have outperformed expectations, sort of.

1 Like

It seems reasonable that they would prepare for the eventuality without making any assumptions.

BBC has them losing 1060 seats with 2 councils left to report?

Guardian on 962, although maybe I’m misunderstanding it.

1 Like

Meanwhile, allies of Johnson linked to the Conservative Democratic Organisation (CDO) suggested Sunak should face a confirmatory vote of members and that no one should rule out a comeback for the former prime minister.

Yay.

Boris coming back? I’d rather have Trump and Putin advising Blair.

Have to now wash my thumbs in bleach.

1 Like

34% turnout in our area. Tragic.

1 Like

Agreed. The lack of engagement and general apathy is the antithesis of what democracy is all about.

When people don’t vote and cite the excuse that “all politicians are the same”, it reflects the success of the neoliberal dumbing down agenda, aimed at brainwashing the masses and effectively killing off democracy so that we can return to a feudal system run by our billionaire overlords.

3 Likes

If everyone who says politicians are all the same actually voted, we could probably elect politicians who aren’t all the same.

5 Likes

According to his MPs the disastrous results in the election point show that Rishi Sunak must act quickly to get the country back on track and rebuild trust.

He has been given a clear message by the electorate that

• the public are sick of dog whistle blame game politics, culture war nonsense and woke bashing
  • the public want strong action on refugees and small boat crossings, lefty wokeism, and trans people.
  • the government must return to the low tax low regulation agenda of the Truss government, which never got a fair shot
  • the government must put a clear marker down to separate it from the Truss government that nearly destroyed the economy.
  • the public think that the scandals of the Boris Johnson government have not been punished enough and the government must rebuild trust
  • the public believe that Boris Johnson was harshly removed from office and should be brought back into the fold.

Plenty for Rishi to think about there.

1 Like

Not sure why the public can want further punishments for the scandals of Boris’ government while also thinking that he was hard done by?

Unless these are views from both tory and non tory supporters.

For Sunak I think having Boris hovering in the wings would be a huge distraction - same with Starmer and Corbyn and Labour made the right choice there.

What Sunak needs to actually figure out is if this is a ‘we’re pissed off with you so get your act together’ vote or a ‘we’re done with you’ vote.

What Starmer needs to figure out, is how to convince the dems and the greens that to guarantee a non tory GE AND run an effective government, that they should give their vote to Labour next time.

Perhaps he could promise them Proportional representation for all future elections after they get in or something along those lines.

:joy:

I’m being flippant. Basically what happens whenever a party is routed like this is that all the various factions leap on the results to claim that ‘if only the party would listen to them…’

So you’ve got Tories arguing that the public clearly want to bring back Boris, while others shout that the public still associate the Tories with his failures. Or that they should double down on culture war dog whistling, while the the public also want them to stop.

It’s basically the end of the road. When political parties get in to the kind of disarray, and battles start cropping up about what it stands for and what should represent, it’s very hard for them to claw back the impression of competence and vision.

Labour need to be laser focussed now and project stability and competence while the Tories decend into turf fighting.

1 Like

That’s where I disagree.

Starmer just needs a majority, and he can get that by either winning seats or the Tories losing them. What wouldn’t be sensible would be splitting the vote where the Lib Dem’s are on track to defeat a Tory.

2 Likes

Sorry. It’s one of those moments where parody is so close to the truth that I missed it :rofl:

1 Like