UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

I know. Michael Fabricant was doing the rounds yesterday saying that the result was the public’s judgement on the scandalous ousting of Boris Johnson.

It is not just reasonable but required for a party to have this internal debate when an election has gone wrong. The problem you tend to see is that the press tends to reflexively agree with one sides framing and bolsters that uncritically (sometimes with handwaving gestures to polls that done mean what they want it to), which tends to limit a party’s ability to make meaningful changes

1 Like

Well Done Clapping GIF by MOODMAN

By which I mean, for the benefit of the slow lad clapping, he doesn’t need to be going all out in seats where the LibDems are poised to win. In fact, that might be counter productive.

Excuse me for posting here for just to ask a question. I am from Germany, love LFC since 2002, Houllier-era and have always enjoyed TIA and TAN these days.
I know almost nothing about your politics and would very much appreciate if someone could give me links, hints to literature etc. concerning the relation of the city and people of Liverpool with southern England, the monarchy, the tories…
I mean, I get the big picture…but I would love to learn more. I thought about asking this a few times, but the booing of the anthem today kind of reminded me of how little I know.
Thanks and again : sorry for “crashing” this Thread.
Thomas

4 Likes

There is definitely no love for the Tories but as a born and bred scouser and someone who has lived here for over 70 years I have never been aware of anti royalist sentiment among family and friends.

It is a Liverpool fan thing and a minority of them. Everton probably have a higher percentage of local fans in their crowd and I really doubt they would boo the anthem.

2 Likes

ah, ok…it was somehow impressive how you couldnt hear anything of the anthem

Not sure I’d call it impressive.
A few more adjectives spring to mind though.

sorry for that. reading comes easy to me, writing in english not so much. I used impressive in a neutral, not judgemental way.

1 Like

Loads of stuff online if you Google something along the lines of “why does Liverpool hate the Tories”, but I read this article when it was first published and it provides a good starting point:

2 Likes

Thank you !
I will read it.

Given recent discussions this seems appropriate

2 Likes

Managed decline…what a concept, what a policy…
Thanks again for the article about Heseltine. As you said : a good starting point.

We’re beyond that now.

We’ve been in “rob you blind” mode UK wide since 2010

I met Heseltine years ago at a seminar. He explained his policy regarding Liverpool at the time and mentioned that he was criticised for providing a garden festival rather than jobs, which was a sentiment that I remember.

I mentioned to him that he could have explained his ideas better at the time which he seemed to agree with.

I think he was basically on the right track but the impetus for the regeneration cash came from the EU rather than UK government.

4 Likes

Something you must read about if you can is the way the rightwing media turned on Liverpool City Council in the mid-80s. For daring to stand up to Thatcher, the council was vilified in the press and labelled “Loony Left”.

Obviously, leading that attack was Rupert Murdoch, and The Sun didn’t exactly enamour itself to the city with its lies about Hillsborough.

The subsequent crash in sales of his rags on Merseyside was a foundation stone for Murdoch and Sky to set up the Premier League. When Alex Ferguson spoke of “knocking Liverpool off their fucking perch”, he was only repeating words fed to him by his ultimate paymaster, Murdoch.

To this day, I have never had a Sky subscription and I never will.

5 Likes

All this input - of which I am very grateful - makes me realise again what a cozy place and time my childhood and youth were in post-war west germany in the 70ies and 80ies…
I heard about Fergusons famous quote but never could put it in another than just a football context.

1 Like

Not 100% certain on this, but almost, some seemed to think Slur Alex was referencing the Liverbird when he was referencing knocking us off our perch - as in the whole City would fall

I am a strong advocate of Europe despite all its faults and I felt like a lover betrayed when the UK voted leave.
The area I live in has been german, then french, then german, then french, finally german again. People killed themselves for almost 100 years around here, so I was always aware that it was european cooperation that ensured peace for decades after WW2.

2 Likes