UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Dunno. If you look at MSN she has some public backing.

The extent to which the Tory’s have weaponised immigration is quite astounding.

She is the ERG’s woman, and they run the show. Sunak dare not remove her - it’s why he put her back in post six days after Truss sacked her for breaking the code. It’s a party within a party, and they have Sunak by the balls. The only reason he is in the job is because they don’t have candidate who isn’t a weirdo.

I don’t think ERG do run the show now, their grasp on the party has weakened some - they tried opposing that Northern Ireland agreement Sunak got through early on. However, it does look like Sunak is worried about how they might make things difficult for him and so is allowing Braverman to trample all over his election commitment to providing a government showing integrity, professionalism and accountability.

2 Likes

"New statistics from the market research firm YouGov reveal that the home secretary remains deeply unpopular. The British public has her net favourability score has fallen to -38, from a figure of -35 the previous week.

Only 14 per cent of Britons have a favourable view of Ms Braverman, with 52 per cent having an unfavourable opinion. She has a -14 net favourability score from those who voted for the Conservatives in the 2019 general election, YouGov said."

2 Likes

She’s the reason we need a giant cannon capable of shooting people into orbit and/or the sun.

1 Like

Having listened to PMQs, you’ll be telling us all when this pulverisation will take place as it was blatantly absent today. Toothless opposition and it’s sickening.

Why? Just ask the French to dust off the guillotine and let us borrow it for a while

HARP is your answer there. It was tried, full Jules Verne stuff:

Yes!!

Off with their heads!!

Works for me.

I haven’t listened to PMQs, but you will have obviously decided what you think long in advance of today, and decided that you would do a better job, largely as you do with everything.

Off topic, but if you are ever in Barbados, that site is still substantially intact. It was never really cleaned up, just abandoned. On the SE coast, not that far out of Bridgetown.

1 Like

Oh, be under no illusion, I don’t “think” I would do a better job.

But to the point, you said if she wasn’t sacked, Labour would pulverise Rishi. That hasn’t happened. Were you wrong?

I’m not taking your word for it. Starmer could walk across the dispatch box and lamp Sunak, and you’d still call him weak.

1 Like

No, I’d want him arresting.

At this point in the electoral cycle, rushing to the finish is of little value. Keeping Sunak on the defensive over Braverman for a month or more is more valuable than a resignation that may in fact help Sunak get past the mess. It looks like Labour is shifting their line of attack to immigration, which fits in with that strategy - Sunak can’t exactly push Braverman out front right now.

3 Likes

Which would be true IF he was on the defensive. One needs to be attacked to defend.

Good to know. Some faith restored.

2 Likes

Taxpayers are still paying for these Boris-appointed lawyers though

1 Like

A perk of being PM I believe according to PMQs today.

The court jester/distraction?