UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Not just that, he was also found guilty by the Supreme Court of lying to the Queen.

So it begs the question, if someone if found guilty of lying to both the Head od State and to Parlament, then is that person fit to be an elected official?

1 Like

Most of the people that had ever worked with him knew he was unfit for any position of responsibility at all. They warned anyone that would listen beforehand.

1 Like

Re: David Cameron

2010 : ā€œIf we win the election, we will take a lead on this issue (lobbying by ex-ministers) by making sure that they are not allowed to use their contacts and knowledge ā€“ gained while being paid by the public to serve the public ā€“ for their own private gain.ā€

2021 : In 2021, Cameron writes, ā€œI was contracted to work for Greensill Capital for 25 days per year.ā€ He explained that his responsibilities included ā€œhelping to win new business, speaking for the company at conferences and events, and helping with plans for international expansion.ā€

As well as sending texts to chancellor Rishi Sunak and other senior treasury figures, it emerged in the Sunday Times that Cameron took finance boss Lex Greensill for a ā€œprivate drinkā€ with health secretary Matt Hancock in October 2019.

2020 (Two years after the murder of Khashoggi) : that year he had gone on a camping trip in Saudi Arabia with Lex Greensill and Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, the latter believed by US intelligence agencies to have ordered the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in October 2018.

Cameron revealed : ā€œWhile visiting the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in January 2020ā€¦I also ā€“ with Lex Greensill ā€“ met with a range of business and political leaders, including Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.ā€ He added: ā€œGreensill planned to open a new regional office in Riyadh as part of its international expansion and I wanted to assist in this effort.ā€

It has been reported Cameron stood to gain Ā£5m for his efforts.

4 Likes

And yet the public still elected him.

Have said it 1000 times, but democracy doesnā€™t work, and this just proves it

1 Like

Democracy means more than having elections. East Germany had elections, they actually called themselves the ā€œDemocratic Republicā€, and yet it was little more than a prison state that had to erect walls and wire fences patrolled by armed guards to stop the population from escaping.

3 Likes

Put in any other form of government, if you are found guilty of lying to both parlament and the HoS, you would likely hang.

BoJo on the other hand, will no doubt get some cushy media position being paid absurd amounts of money to continue peddling his lies to serve his own agenda

2 Likes

I doubt heā€™ll return to journalism ā€¦ whoā€™d have him ?

But heā€™s already the new darling of the right in the US , and thatā€™s where the real money is. In his defence , he was over there recently trying to stiffen resolve amongst Republican congressmen for their continuing support of Ukraine.

2 Likes

With the advent of ChatGPT there will be increasingly fewer opportunities for hacks that make up bollocks for the papers.

I think youā€™ve answered your own question.

Fox would no doubt jump at the chance to parade him as their headline twat

I was actually talking about speaking engagements for right-wing think tanks and the like. I think heā€™s already been paid $500,000 for one such engagement.

1 Like

Iā€™m always curious as to who pays for this. Iā€™ve heard Johnson speak. He is a truly awful public speaker. If you wanted a politically incorrect middle-aged twit you can get Jeremy Clarkson for much less and he is both professional and witty. He doesnā€™t have anything interesting to say about statesmanship. He is a known liar and his political career has been one extended car crash so he has nothing of note to talk about.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I do hope that people realise that a tree died to publish that crap.

4 Likes

Itā€™s funny that you mention that because actually it wasnā€™t the Owen Patterson affair , or the by-election defeats , that finally did for him with the Tory faithful , but more the disastrous ā€˜Peppa Pigā€™ speech that he gave to the CBI. Apparently that was the straw that broke the camelā€™s back.

3 Likes

ā€œI doubt heā€™ll return to journalism ā€¦ whoā€™d have him ?ā€

Oh yeah , I forgot about that lot. :see_no_evil:

I appreciate this issue is somewhat subjective. But being PM doesnā€™t by itself mean that the person has brains or charisma. Getting to be PM is as much about opportunity, fashion and presentation as it is personal attributes.

Cameron got to be leader of his party from a very poor pool of alternative candidates.

Conservatives are pretty much nailed on to get about a third of votes in an election regardless of who their leader is. Cameron was up against Brown - a proven intellect who wasnā€™t charasmatic and whose party had pretty much exhausted itself in government.

May became PM because there was almost no-one else running against her. Goveā€™s ā€˜backstabbingā€™ of Boris took them both out, Fox had been caught in a scandal where he had taken a partner or friend on a work trip but I think had the government pay for him. That lead to a run off between May, a high profile Minister and Leadsom - whoā€™s only role of note was two junior ministerial roles, as a PA for some firm in the City (a role which she embellished) and appearing on Newsnight where her defence of austerity was absolutely shredded by Paul Krugman.

Truss does not appear either Charismatic or smart, and Iā€™m not sure whether Sunak is either.

3 Likes

I reckon this could be shortlisted for Understatement of the Millennium.

2 Likes

I was just about to say the exact same thing !

1 Like

In fairness, I was forgetting Truss. As I suspect we all want to.

1 Like

My impression of May is that she became PM out of a sense of duty rather than ambition. It was quite clear at that point that no politician of ambition was going to own that shit-show.

Iā€™ve recently heard an interview with the former Irish President, Mary McAleese, who did indicate that May appeared to understand what the problems were that she was dealing with and also that there were no good solutions - only necessary compromises.

Iā€™m not fussed on Mayā€™s politics otherwise but I do think she was a serious politician.

6 Likes