US Election 2024

been through this recently before, i suppose it doesnt really affect me as its such a ‘meh’ subject, its embarrassin for brits who think its some form of witty or cutting jibe when it really just shows off thier utter ignorance…

just to assist you though;

this nation has been populated for more than 40,000 years
the british sent 160k convicts over an 80 year period
this period finished in 1860 (164 years ago)
we became an independant country 123 years ago
our population is now 26 million

2 Likes

Watched this documentary about Roger Stone and his part in Jan 6th.
Very disturbing stuff.

1 Like

https://x.com/DanGreenMN/status/1820585720341278740?t=hM7w6eg3gwvLQ5_Acz-ghQ&s=19

@Limiescouse

Ready to call it?

1 Like

Maybe he’s actually a drug baron?

2 Likes

Walz is good, but Pennsylvania is less sure than Minnesota.

That may be decisive.

Watched this yesterday.

Pakman goes through a few scenarios, including where she loses PA but still has a path to victory.

1 Like

Suspect she is waiting for Trump to say it again, and he will,at some point and as the Nominee she will tear him apart and the media will have problems playing it down.
That said I wonder how many people outside the US really accept abortion after birth as fact.
Really looks like Trump dribbling shit and plenty prepared to parrot him.

1 Like

But that would mean sending him back to UK. We don’t want no bloody riff raff foreigners coming here :wink:

I think we’re in Hail Mary territory if she loses Pennsylvania. The polls he talks about are from a week ago and she’s narrowed them even more. If the Dems internal polling thinks PA is in the bag then she might go for Tim Walz , otherwise she simply has to go with Shapiro , who would virtually guarantee the state.

1 Like

Don’t see how PA can be considered ‘in the bag’. It’s absolutely neck and neck.

1 Like

https://x.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1820529770205249873

btw, that other guy is the streamer Adin Ross, meanwhile banned permanently on Twitch for his ultra right wing views

2 Likes

I don’t mind which of Walz or Shapiro it is. Personally I’m closer to the politics of Walz, but as a running mate, they both have their uses for the overall ticket. There are multiple paths to the Whitehouse for Harris and it isn’t all on one state.

One thing I am watching for is if the economy lulls, as looks likely. Trump will pile on (he’s already started) to pin any possible slowing or downturn onto Harris.

Further, if anything escalates between Israel and Iran, he will also use that to pile into Harris, and claim there wouldn’t be war if he was in the Whitehouse.

It’s all a bunch of balls, of course, but apart from any misbobbles - and Harris looks way too professional for that - I would say they are the two main potential attack lines for Trump.

Apart from that he seems to have a diminishing campaign, that grows ever more extreme.

So long as younger people come out to vote - and that might be a danger too, I can’t see past a Harris win.

3 Likes

Walz! Go on, Momala!

4 Likes

Surely though they must be amongst the two most important areas that people will be voting on?

1 Like

That’s a very optimistic take. PA is a key swing state and it would be hard to win without it. I’m closer to Walz too, but he’s vulnerable to attack on the post Floyd riots, and you can be sure the Reps will be producing lots of videos of burning cars in the next few weeks.
It’s not beyond Trump’s rich backers to engineer a stock market fall, or his Israeli friends to start a skirmish or two with Iran.
Three months to go and, literally, anything could happen.

1 Like

From what was said above isn’t it also the case that Shapiro would weaken her campaign with the base with his extremely hawkish pro-Israel government war crime stance?

3 Likes

Absolutely. The economy is a vital election issue. Harris needs to prosecute her case - talk about the good things under the Democrat government economy. That case hasn’t been made very well among the public at large. Contrast with job losses and rapidly growing debt under Trump.

As for war in Israel, it’s delicate, as legitimate criticism of Israel’s response is conflated with anti-semitism over here, so Harris needs to walk a fine line.

Still, it should not be difficult to make a case that the unjust and very heavy-handed response by Israel has fired up its opponents. A call for calm and peace is in order, although it could be choppy water for Harris, as any legitimate criticism of Israel will be jumped all over.

1 Like

While accepting that today anything is vulnerable to attack, I really dont think his position, especially given his ability to talk his way through his thoughts on the issues, should pose any sort of unique issue. There is no running mate who can be selected who wont have things team Trump will view as vulnerabilities and at least with Walz and the riots he has already spent 4 years facing those questions and dealing with them thoughtfully and, to me, fairly impressively.

2 Likes