US Election 2024

Weird scum

Go on, Momala, win it for Hadlee

2 Likes

Long ago? Almost certainly not. But we have had roundabout confirmation of AOC’s stated concerns of power players in the party wanting to overlook Harris and throw the party into likely chaos. We dont have any direct evidence but everything about the hand off looks like what we would have seen had it been a coordinated effort to subvert Pelosi’s wishes and put Harris in the best possible situation. It’ll be interesting to see what gets written about it in the future.

4 Likes

He’s constantly saying that. Might be a chance that he genuinely believes even liberals wanted it in states hands. Because he doesn’t know much about anything and someone told him that.

5 Likes

I meant long ago in political time, so right around the debate aftermath…

Yeah, I think this is right. Proper pathological liars dont just lie, they absolutely convince themselves that the lie they are telling is true. I think the knock on effect of that is the ability to outright create versions of the world that dont exist and genuinely believe the things they’ve invented. But can then also flip on a dime if its in their interest to believe something else they have to say to other people, and in their brain they wont recognize that its a flip flop. It is a quite chilling experience to be close enough to someone to see it happening in them.

3 Likes

Yep , like almost anything policy related he hasn’t got a fucking clue. That’s the line he’s been told to take that sounds the most plausible , even though it’s bs.

2 Likes

This.

Read her book and a book about her, always felt she gets far too much bad press.

Even the likes of Truss try and write her off. Her judgement is worse than than leaving milk out in a heatwave.

1 Like

Best endorsement of Harris so far

2 Likes

Isn’t this just part of his shtick?

“Everyone wanted this. No one could or would do it, but I could and did.”

Yup I saw a list of MPs who backed Trump.

It was a who’s who’s of the biggest cnuts of the last 5 years.

7 Likes

Yeah, but the reason he is more convincing than everyone else in his party is because he is properly pathological. Whatever he needs to be true in any moment is what he believes in his (rancid) heart

2 Likes

Before Doug became the second gentleman he was a very well connected Hollywood lawyer. I was listening to something last week where they said that one of the things that made him so well known was that in a town that takes itself so seriously he had a very unusual vibe making him known as the industry’s “golden retriever” - always upbeat and happy to involved.

I thought of that during his speech the other night. He was telling a story about the first time he called her and it went to voice mail. As he was speaking he realized how much of a putz he was sounding but just kept making it worse and worse until eventually hanging up after a 60 second meandering embarrassing message. He said that she kept the voicemail and plays it to him every year on their anniversary for them to laugh at :joy: :joy: :joy:

I wish politics was more of a battle of ideas that the wonks think it is, but it just isn’t. What wins is not your tax policy, but stories like that which characterize the people in a certain way that voters then interpret the policy conversations through. In that regard, Kamala and Walz are knocking it out the park.

8 Likes

Stay in Grand Haven on the big lake. Absolutely beautiful area. Easy drive to Grand Rapids and Holland from there. One of my favorite towns in all the US. Go in summer though. Winters can be brutal up there.

A rising star there.

3 Likes

David Frum has made a career telling Liberals what they need to do to please conservatives like him, as if their satisfaction is more important than the liberal base. It’s so fucking annoying and he is probably the most smug of the big collection of them that exists in the mainstream, so it’s made me confused to see how on point he has been this cycle with points like this…

https://x.com/davidfrum/status/1826597385532817913

The most insightful is that many in his movement disdain him as much as those who oppose him do. They just see him as a vehicle that will take them to the outcomes they want and he will be too disinterested in the details to bothered about it.

4 Likes

It was in the 50s the entire time we were there even in middle of July. Us going to the “beach”…

3 Likes

Welcome to Michigan. I’ll bet a week later it was a sweltering 90 plus degrees. Just the way it is up there. Visited in late April. Played golf first day there…33 when I teed off. Two days later, played in shorts and short sleeve.

Maybe I’m just cocout pilled and overly excited at the prospects of a new ticket that can win, but there have been so many moving parts of this convention. The West Virginia roll call was absolutely amazing a couple of nights ago, but I loved this bit from last night

https://x.com/amyklobuchar/status/1826485638666854610

Parents are often proud of their kids, but its a quite a bit rarer to see kids so heart on their sleeve proud to be the child of their parents. And amazingly, many in the GOP are proving that they just cannot read the room by treating this as a mockable incident rather than an incredibly touching moment that paints the ticket in an incredibly favorable light.

9 Likes

Looks like an own goal by the Dems not allowing a Palestinian speaker after Israelis were given a voice.
Not sure how that looks in the US, but from abroad it’s not good.

1 Like

The incoherence of the positions are never far away from being revealed

As the black panthers showed everyone 60 years ago, people have a right to carry guns under the 2nd amendment. But just not “those people”

https://x.com/atrupar/status/1826628441204003095

1 Like