US Election 2024

So he is the Mark Waugh of US politics?

4 Likes

Continue to underestimate Harris by all means.

Biden has in essence delivered the only route to victory for the Dems and Harris is a very capable individual.

5 Likes

While I get your point, it would also be foolish to not ride the Walz momentum, especially if they can play up the contrasts between the two and how they complement each other.

2 Likes

I’m not questioning harris, just thought Walz was awesome and relatable in front of a microphone. He’s a weapon for harris to use, and i hope they use him well in coming months.

2 Likes

So imagine if Trump loses to someone who, at best, is adequate?

Even with all the lying, rigging, disinformation, gerrymandering, threats and all the rest of it, he might still lose to such a meager opponent.

It does not say much about him.

I do agree with your assessment of Michelle Obama. She has real substance.

1 Like

As an orator, no question. As a leader and legislator? Kamala is miles ahead.

5 Likes

Walz is gold. Normal fella. So relatable. If the Dems were getting a bit of a reputation (unjust?) for moving away from everyday people, at least that was the perception in some quarters, the likes of Walz is a massive boost to address that. Who he is, what he has done for people, how he comes across… it all helps to round out the ticket. Excellent choice Kamala.

Compare to JD Vance. Rich. Silicon Valley. Lawyer. Weird. Trying to massage his past to connect with everyday people, but he just doesn’t have it, not nearly in comparison to Walz.

3 Likes

I can’t remember a US party convention that’s been so full of positive energy. I guess it was similar in 2008, but this certainly feels special.

A month or two ago it felt as if the Democrats were light on talent, unable to find a better candidate than the aged Biden, but now they are able to bring out one great speaker after another:

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Jasmine Crockett, Andy Beshear, Raphael Warnock, Pete Buttigieg, Josh Shapiro, Mark Kelly, Gretchen Whitmer and many more.

It’s incredible what a difference a few weeks can make.

7 Likes

Quote of the 2024 DNC for me last night from Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel: “You can pry my wedding ring from my cold, dead, gay finger!”

Savagery in art form!

4 Likes

For those of you overseas who may not get the reference, she is paraphrasing a car sticker, popular among the gun nutters here in the USA. It reads: You can take my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Thought context might be needed.

2 Likes

Ah. Thought it was a Charlton Heston reference.

4 Likes

It is. The sticker was quoting CH.
I think it was hands originally, but finger works better with a ring, obviously.

2 Likes

I was in the process of commenting on Dana Nessel’s speech when I saw it had already been raised. Michigan has turned into a factory of talent with Whitmer and Nessel, but also Mallory McMorrow who has turned into a national star from her role in their state senate and was given a speaking spot on the first night.

4 Likes

Where the maternal side of my family (Dutch side) is from. My youngest daughter lives and works in Ann Arbor, after graduating from UM in ‘22. Glad she has some quality roll models there, since we live so damn far apart now. Think I need to get up there again soon!

1 Like

I visited Saugatuck a few summers ago and went through some Dutch towns over on that west coast. There are some great breweries around that part of the state.

I’ve just had an idea for our next trip with the dogs.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s staggering. Biden was apparently the cork containing everything in a bottle. Now that cork has got out of the way, all the energy flows out. It’s great to see that to be honest. Compare that to the Republicans, who seem to have their energy and credibility being drained away with every passing week…

3 Likes

https://x.com/KamalaHQ/status/1826629698706702654

2 Likes

'Everyone wanted that’ … every male conservative christian nationalist fascist I think he means.

5 Likes

It’s probably highly unlikely, but I wonder if he made the decision a long time ago and was just waiting for Harris to organise a campaign before searching for the most opportune time, acting as a lightning rod for criticism so she can benefit from being a breath of fresh air.

2 Likes

This is excellent… excellent

4 Likes