US Election 2024

I think if any regular Joe blow don’t pay 4 years of taxes, yes, you’d be fined heavy, a felon and in jail/prison. You do the crime, you do the time! That’s all I’m advocating for. Then you add the gun charges, the drugs, being on boards he shouldn’t be, making millions off painting my 4 year old could paint better…cmon man.

I’m with you @LuisSuarez, if you do a crime you should do the time. White collar crime has been overlooked in this country (and every country to be fair) for far too long. Glad to see two very high profile people being found guilty of crimes that they have committed recently, long may it continue.

Mind you I also think every billionaire is a criminal just in the fact of existing, so there is that.

1 Like

Well, that doesn’t bode well for this actual public figure as opposed to the private citizen you have a hard on over

1 Like

Yes, I’m pissed about Trump not paying his taxes as well. But we’re not talking about him, you guys do that enough on this forum. I’m just glad a lot of the shady stuff these politicians and their family members do and get away with, is finally starting to get more attention.

1 Like

Sorry, I meant to type “illegally buying a gun”.

1 Like

But then he also claims he has a “special relationship” with MIT, which is some alleged uncle who allegedly went to MIT.

MIT must have shuddered.

3 Likes

The impacts are:

• MAGA people will get wound up because it means [things] about Biden
  • MAGA people will also get wound up because this was just a show trial with Joe setting Hunter up as a sacrifice so they could trick people into thinking the conviction against Trump was the result of a just legal system
  • The press will cover it incessantly trying to make it into a story that it isnt, but forcing it be so due to their coverage of it
  • Anti-Trump, pro-establishment people will fall over themselves to paint this as evidence that the system works and is not politicized, despite this entire prosecution being a deeply dirty and political one from the get go…a bent Trump AG appointing a fellow lacky to investigate open ended accusations against the son of a political opponent with the intention of finding something they can pretend gave substance to the “big guy, Biden Crime Family” narrative they had already committed to. This was an investigation that after 4 years found nothing more than something Hunter was able to plea out on, but after political interference from House Republicans the judge rejected the plea deal and forced the prosecutors to trial on charges he was undeniably guilty of, but very rarely result in trials. All the while the investigation was cultivating a Russian asset they knew was problematic, but were willing to pretend they believed if he gave them the dish on Joe Biden that the investigation was initiated to find, a move that ultimately blew up with the asset being charged for perjury for the lies he told to prosecutors with ample evidence that those in the Weiss investigation knew it to be bullshit.

This was not a day that demonstrated the unimpeachability of the justice system. It was in fact Trump’s first real win in how to weaponize the justice system against his enemies, even if the result was not entirely what they were hoping for, and the inability of people to clearly say that at a time when they are having to fend of Trump’s baseless complaints about the DoJ’s treatment of him is a stark illustration of the damage he continues to cause to the fabric of the country.

5 Likes

What I take from the Hunter Biden conviction is that it’s too easy to buy a gun while being a drug addict. Should be some sort of advanced background check to buy guns, that’d take care of people lying on their forms.

Given that around 70% of Americans support increased background checks on gun purchases I’m sure this is the unifying moment in American politics we have all been looking for. Excited to see the Republicans finally join the good fight.

8 Likes

So good.

Good point. Also relevant that the gun store owner, knowing who Hunter was, knowingly filled out the form incorrectly to get him out of the store ASAP and expedite the sale, which is just as much of an offense as what Hunter was charged with.

It seems a background check where such fuckery can occur so easily is not fit for purpose and needs to be bolstered, maybe by more proactive Federal agency involvement. If we cannot have known addicts owning guns then we clearly need to bolster the process.

4 Likes

One of the best most straight to the point takes on why big business has got back on board the Trump train, and this from a guy whose day job is to talk about sports

https://x.com/PabloTorre/status/1799288002935439684

2 Likes

I would also be comfortable saying that if I were a billionaire business owner and 200 years old.

As I always said, billionaires do not become that by being saints. All of them had evaded taxes in one way or another, exploited loopholes. The argument for them is always their businesses contributed alot more in taxes and created jobs. But for alot of them who paid zero personal taxes, are just greedy.

1 Like

Should really just stop there. People shouldn’t be buying guns, full stop!

2 Likes

Your failure to understand the point ensures you’ll never even get close, douche.

Crap. Very few billionaires evade tax. They structure themselves to minimise it but that’s what most individuals do. It’s the tax code that needs to change.
Also, in my personal experiences, billionaires can be upstanding people who do a lot of good.

1 Like

I’m trying to think of whether I have personally met a billionaire. I may have bumped into a few in the course of work. I think the perception is that they are all like Scrooge McDuck but there are a fair few that turn their hand to philanthropy - presumably after discovering that having any more wealth than enough doesn’t, in itself, create happiness.

How many are offering to pay more tax, though? Probably more than we imagine:

Presumably, it is the other quarter who expect the world to dance to their tune?

The thing is turning their hands to philanthropy is in a way avoiding paying tax as it would be classed as charitable donations which are tex deducable. That is why so many top level footballers these days are setting up charity foundations - it is to avoid paying tax

I’m friends with one (for more than 20 years) and social acquaintances with another. Neither of them are the stereotypical evil bastards. One is a large (quiet) philanthropist who lives well but without largesse. The other recognises the huge role of luck in his circumstances and remains generally humble. Neither of them drive flash sports cars and while one has spent >100m on building a horse property it is primarily for use by others and hosting public events. Avarice and private hoarding definitely is not every billionaires style.

3 Likes

Can you ask them if they’re interested in investing in a start up I’m developing? No idea what the product is yet, but it’s something digital. Maybe an app or something? Anyway I just need a couple of mill seed capital. Tell them you know me and that I’m sound.
Cheers :+1:t4:

7 Likes