US Reds - South of 49th

Creating this thread for my neighbours from the south of 49th Parallel North. It’s not all about TV Schedules. :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like there are more of US Reds now according to Morning Consult survey. (No idea who they are).

3 Likes

That’s how I know Americans, they switch teams like they change a shirt.

I’m sorry I should have said “some” Americans, especially around DC … :laughing:

A lad who I know (a gooner) visited New York. He and his Mrs went to a bar to watch Utd play Chelsea on the Monday Night Football show. Nobody in there was wearing team colours but were all intently watching the screens. Gooner mate didn’t know if they were Chelsea or Man U fans. He thought he had his answer when Utd scored and the whole bar cheered. Only to be confused again when Chelsea equalised and the whole bar cheered again?

I mean there’s switching teams, but mid game?

:thinking::nerd_face:

1 Like

I generally hate sports coverage in the US. I try to explain it to friends but cannot find the words to explain what is so bad about it, but Im watching the golden League final on NBC now and it’s awful

Women’s Steeplechase - only 8 women have ever run under 9 minutes and 6 are in this race. These are the women to watch today (2 Africans with sub 9 women seasons best, and 3 americans who are half a lap slower)

Men’s 400M hurdles - theres a brazilian runner who is clearly favoured. We start the race with a discussion on his facial scarring. By about half way round we’re talking about his improvement in his flat speed. By the finishing straight we’re talling about how he switched his training schedule to US pacific time zone for the recent world championships. And entire 45 second race elapsed with no commentary on the race and instead talking about stuff that if it was important should have been discussed before hand in the build up.

I cant place my finger on precisely why it’s so bad, but even watching to coverage feels not much different than reading the results on the internet.

EDIT
Women’s Javelin - the now presumed winner just threw her winning attempt before they stopped talking about her husband’s athletic career and how this might be her final season.

The actual performance and competition is secondary to their pre-planned talking points. I get the feeling that a gunman could enter the stadium and start taking people out and they would continue through their pre-planned talking points before considering if they should comment on what is happneing on your screen

Fly from Tennessee to London tomorrow, then Liverpool, then Anfield for games Thursday and Sunday. I’m too excited.

1 Like

From west, central or eastern TN?

Coming to NYC in Feb and would like to catch the Burnley game in a bar whilst my other half does parkrun (because he’s crackers). Any recommendations? Heard mixed things about Carraghers…

Sorry, can’t vouch for anywhere in NYC.

However, I am flying to LA tomorrow for an early Chrimbo with my daughter and mate, as they must work over the holiday. Will be taking in the United game at Joxer Daly’s in Culver City with the LA supporters club.

Any in the area, come meet the fam and I, and watch, what will hopefully be, the smashing of the cunts with us!

If anyone happens to be in the Columbus, Ohio area, there are two “official” LFC pubs:

McClellans Pub (my hangout)
Local Cantina—Brewery District

Every LFC match shown at each location. Usually packed full and always lively.

1 Like

Who the hell wants to go to Columbus, Ohio?

GO BLUE!:grin:

1 Like

So you make a stop in Cleveland and go to Wild Birds Unlimited?

1 Like

You are addressing likely the least of all C-BUS area residents who cares about tOSU. :smile:

But there is a nice LFC Pub in Ann Arbor: Thomas McGee’s.

I realise that Americans are crap at Geography, but you do realise that Columbus, Ohio and Ann Arbor, Michigan are north of the 49th parallel, don’t you?

As you were…

Well…right…

Come here anyway! :smile:

1 Like

Seems someone could use a geography lesson.

The 49th parallel effectively separates Canada and USA. The line does drop into the USA in certain small areas, but Ann Arbor sits just north of the 42 parallel. Therefore, well south of the 49th, and Columbus is well south of Ann Arbor.

Also, my mother’s family is from Ann Arbor, and my youngest graduated from UM, and lives and works there. Myself? I reside on the 32.17 parallel. I’ll let you figure where.

1 Like

Very good. Ann Arbor is a nice place.

I find myself hilarious.

2 Likes

Americans offered Canada Ann Arbor and Columbus but Canada politely declined.

1 Like

And then America built Zingermans and the Canadians cried over their stupid mistake

1 Like

Was curious if anyone else has gotten tickets to either one of the Reds’ USA appearances this summer?

I’ll be attending in Columbia, SC, as it’s just a piece up the road, and I can’t swing both dates. Man U again! Saw the Reds smash them in Ann Arbor, Michigan almost 6 years ago. Brilliant overhead from the Power Cube in his first LFC appearance!

Wifey and I will be staying the night in downtown Columbia, as will my Oxford born and raised mate and his gf, who we will be sitting with at the match. If you’re going, and would like to meet up, give us a holler!

1 Like

I was looking as they are not far from my birthday and I thought I would be able to convince the missus to combine it with a birthday getaway. I was surprised to see Colombia selected as a venue so though that might be something we could work into part of a nice trip to Charleston or Savannah, but by christ the tickets are expensive. $200 a ticket for the cheapest ticket for a pre-season game? $300 each for lower bowl?

I enjoy that she lets me watch the games on the weekend and just leaves me alone so Im not THAT interested in exposing her to what it’s like.

1 Like