Virgil VAN DIJK: 2020/21

I doubt anyone replacing Lovren would have got a game before Fab anyways. And such a long term injury is definitely hard to predict. We’ll improvise, Klopp is capable enough to see us through till Jan and then we’ll assess and if need be we’ll get someone.

2 Likes

This fucking sucks.

Get well, big fella.

5 Likes

am ACL is 9 months.

Isn’t that what Ox had?

The Lovren replacement could have partnered Fab, not replaced him.

At this moment in time Gomez is on a shocker and If Matip makes it to Christmas without getting another injury I’ll be amazed.

Anyway, fingers crossed but as I said this is worst case scenario.

2 Likes

If Matip makes it to next weekend, I’ll be stunned!!

7 Likes

Wonder if there is an decent CB available in a free?

2 Likes

Not gonna lie, I’m fucking gutted. I’m going to struggle with no fans, players getting covid, VAR, needless internationals and maiming players being OK on technicalities. I might stick my head in the sand this season. I’m not enjoying it :frowning:

5 Likes

We already saw that against Everton. We were much deeper and looked more secure for it. Not even Virgil was comfortable with us playing as high as we have been and a tactical tweak was inevitable after Villa.

Obviously it’s a massive blow. He’s played every game for more than two seasons. We’ve been extremely fortunate in that respect. Not so fortunate now but we’ll just have to get on with it. It was always a big risk going into a season with just 3 CBs, especially when one of them is Joel Matip, but at least it’s not that long until the Jan transfer window. I’m not too depressed about it. Shit happens, but we’re still a pretty good team without him.

13 Likes

Agreed. Talk of struggling to make the top 4 is way off the mark. Even without Van Dijk, the defence is about on the same level with the competition. There will be tactical adjustments as well to tighten up the back.

Winning the league or the CL is going to be really difficult though.

3 Likes

May the surgeons do their best work. Just hope he can come back no worse for the wear, as so many of these players do these days, and enjoy a productive resumption of his career.

9 Likes

It will be difficult but we are not a one man team or a one man defence. Virgil played against Villa and we conceded 7 goals. In fact he’s played in all the games since restart and we’ve conceded plenty. The tactical adjustments have already been made. We’ll play deeper and more conventionally. We will definitely be weaker in the air but it’s disrespectful to the rest of the team and the manager to start writing the season off. Best manager and coaching staff in the world and a team full of world class players should still have a chance.

21 Likes
4 Likes

Virgil has been a critical part of our success, so something like this was always been my concern, the dreaded what’s happens if “insert star name” gets injured. It’s now up to the team to find a solution, and maybe the coaches to make a subtle change to the way we play.

Let’s show the league that we refuse to accept the “if we weren’t missing Laporte” excuse. Adapt, adopt and improve.

Come back stronger Virgil.

11 Likes

It’s always shit to lose a player, but that it was such a shithouse assault make it worse, and that the assault went unpunished makes it even worse.

God knows how Virgil must feel right now. The best defender in the world robbed of a year of his prime, not knowing if he comes back the same.

Get well big man.

10 Likes

What makes it worst is if Pickford wasn’t the size of an 8 year old child he would have gone into Virgils wanger and gone flying, not his knee.

2 Likes

The only thing I can say, apart from being devastated for Virg and wishing bad things on Pickford, Richarlison and Everton, is that if we still want to compete to win things this season we have to steady the ship until January and then bring forward the plans to buy a new CB that we surely had for next summer anyway. Other than that… Just wish Virgil a complete recovery, to think we won’t be able to enjoy him for a whole season because of those horrible thugs is disheartening and makes my blood boil.

6 Likes

Big Kreuze in 2010, I remember.

He was assisted though, by the trainers.

Certain there have been others.

Check out this carzy shit…this fella finished the fecking game!!!

2 Likes

So with us having a full team out injured (including the best defender in the world), not getting penalties, being on the wrong end of shit VAR calls, hardly spending any money…when we win the league again it’s going to be so sweet. Asterisk that. Fuck it, put two on.

12 Likes
11 Likes

Well said big man

I know it’s all doom and gloom right now but with modern science and this players mentality it could be the ‘career hiatus’ that extends his playing career by more than he misses in time off.

It certainly reads that way for him.

I know there is a few minor things different between me and big virg but I reckon I’m still playing ( pre COVID lockdown) at mid forty and keeping fit because at late twenties I had to sit and watch through an extended stint of niggly shitty injuries.

Differences aside, a mental break might be a long term bonus.

Clutching for positives

3 Likes