Virgil VAN DIJK: 2020/21

2 Likes

That’s a really good piece. The only problem I’d have with it is how broadly Rory Smith name drops other players who carry the same aura. It really is rare at this level to have a player whose presence is big enough that even other top Pros feel it. There are maybe 2 in the league at any one time.

1 Like

Agreed. Some rather awkward mentions there.

1 Like

Agree with both of you, but I’m just thrilled to have high-quality soccer coverage in a mainstream US publication!

1 Like

Eddie Hearn has a podcast called “No passion, no point”. In today’s release, he’s chatting to Virgil.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08thrj2

3 Likes

Some good stuff in there from Big Virg:

I think staying at the top is the hardest thing to do. Everyone wants to see you fall when you reach the top. That is what life is about, especially these days. For me I want to give everything I got until I retire and then have no regrets after.

1 Like

Virgil played the first 45 mins of the Netherlands friendly against Mexico this evening. The coach downgraded to Ake at HT.

2 Likes

1 Like

Hope it’s not serious but knee injury - if not just a knock - the least serious would probably be something similar to what Ox and Hendo had.

Virgil is the last person I would want to miss in the mid term.

And I am dead serious when I say without him we will only fight for a Top4 finish if we miss him for more than 5 weeks.

1 Like

Honestly, this doesn’t look good. If it’s a knock he plays in midweek, but the way that I looked I would be incredibly surprised to see that.

Especially with that clown between the sticks.

Nice. :roll_eyes:

I think we should brace ourselves for some bad news, that tackle looked awful, damaged ligaments is what I suspect.

had never heard of rhys williams until about four weeks ago

decent chance he’s going to play in the league before christmas now

Jurgen Klopp: ‘Virgil, it is not good. He plays on with pain, he never misses a game. I don’t know how bad it is but it is not good. Then when we were talking off, Thiago tells me he thinks he was injured. We will have to see.’

I hope it’s not longer and more serious than two months’ absence but without him and Alisson, this defence looks shot. I think the team are now going through the same injury issues Man City faced last season and it cost them the title early on.

1 Like

Even with VvD in the side. Confidence of Gomez and Adrian is gone. We are back to the era of Sakho, Moreno, Mignolet.

1 Like

Stop being a drama queen. Alisson is back soon. We don’t know how bad Van Dijk is. Gomez will find his form again.

9 Likes

Jesus, @Mascot. Just because people don’t agree with you doesn’t mean their wrong. I get it, it’s your messageboard, you can do whatever you want but you’re acting fascist when someone is out of step with your views.

Have a think about what ‘fascist’ means, then go for a walk out somewhere.

1 Like

Think van Dijk has a serious injury too and could be out for months. The only thing we can do is pray for a speedy Becker recovery, that will help to get the confidence level of Gomez back up.

Until then we are back in the first two seasons of Klopp, we score goals but we will receive plenty too.

2 Likes