Virgil VAN DIJK: 2020/21

G: I think I have it. Time has stopped dead. The single experience of one coin being spun once has been repeated.

R: A hundred and fifty six times.

G: On the whole, doubtful. Or, a spectacular vindication of the principle that each individual coin spun individually is as likely to come down heads as tails and therefore should cause no surprise each individual time it does.

1 Like

ā€¦probably

Youā€™re right Iā€™m wrong. He isnā€™t going to get injured itā€™s fine. Iā€™m seriously bored of this never should have mentioned anything.

1 Like

Not really can keep on trying to explain if people want but itā€™s clearly the most boring of subjects ever so if people want to believe Iā€™m wrong then fine. Iā€™ve been wrong about more important things I cared more about.

You think Iā€™m saying that youā€™re Sheldon in this exchange?..

Incidentally, that baby gif is fucking disturbing but Iā€™m keeping it there anyway!

4 Likes

Limie: He isnt saying that Virgil is less at risk or was never going to get injured
ARD: Fine, I give up. Virgil was not going to get injured. You are right. stomps off indignantly
Limie, yelling into the distance: Noā€¦you still donā€™t seem to get it.

3 Likes

You see, maths is maths, and life is life.

2 Likes

Based off ARDā€™s posting history there must be an almost 100% chance he admits heā€™s got it wrong this time.

5 Likes

As wrong as when I argued Ricky Van Wolfswinkel would be worth a punt as a new young CF option or as when I argued we should sign Tom Ince back?

Anyone seen the Athletic piece saying the injury is worse than feared and thereā€™s more to it than just an ACL?

Sounds like we could be looking at a 12-month absence minimum.

Be silent! Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth.

3 Likes

With a complete rupture of the ACL it almost always occurs alongside damage to other parts of the knee. And the reality is that pretty much no matter what else has happened, the prognosis will be determined by how well the ACL repair takes. Anything else that is damaged and needs to be repaired will occur within the time frame of the ACL recovery.

I think the main risk from a complex injury like this comes from getting decisions wrong about what to do with the surgery. Given the length of immobilization he will have, there is often damage they decide to leave alone in the hope it heals itself during that immobilization. If they get that decision wrong then somewhere down the line during rehab theyā€™ll end up having to go back in to sort out that piece, which can then extend the recovery period. But often it doesnt make a difference.

2 Likes

I think itā€™s also usually the case that after an ACL the player is likely to suffer a run of thigh and calf injuries, as he over compensates for the ACL.

Iā€™m coming to terms with the fact that we wonā€™t see the best of Virg again until Christmas 2021.

1 Like

The hamstring graft has become preferred in many circles because it results in a more stable graft for the knee than when using the patella tendon. The problem is for a footballer, or pretty much any athletes, is that comes at the expense of creating muscle problems around the knee.

1 Like

That would be a dream scenario. Most players actually take longer as they can return within that 12 month timeframe, but they donā€™t really get back to their pre-injury form for another 6-12 months after they return.

2 Likes

I did read that ZB. Gave me a sick feeling in my stomach. But then part of me wondered if that was a bit of sensationalism to create additional drama. As others have said here, there usually always is additional damage to surrounding pieces when an athlete does their ACL. Which wouldnā€™t make Virgā€™s injury unique or an outlier in any way. I remain extremely hopeful for the best and if anyone can mentally take it on a grueling rehabilitation, itā€™s our Virgil.

All that said, I do believe it will be next Christmas until we see a fully fit and firing Virgil.

EDIT: reminded me of Gundoganā€™s ACL injury from a few seasons ago when he collided with a player on the pitch. Iā€™ll have to go back and look to see how long he was out.

1 Like

Just now searching Ilkayā€™s recovery and time off, I found this article from New York Times in his rehabilitation and the mental/emotional side. Worthy of a read.

2 Likes

Pickford needs to be informed that Virgil needs his ACL.

Editā€¦ The comments are disgusting

5 Likes