Virgil VAN DIJK: 2020/21

You bring the pillow case, I’ll bring the door knobs.

2 Likes

You have a lot of knobs?

Rather he miss the season than come back and play the Euros personally.

6 Likes

I never had a problem with it. Playing for his country at a big competition, especially looking at the way his career went (took him a long time to get to the top level)… it must be a huge motivation for him. As long as we’re all not doing anything stupid. I’m calm. He’s mostly with us, we’ll treat him well. Then it depends on other factors. I’d be happy for him if he made it.

3 Likes

It’s the injury that he is coming off that’s my concern, it’s likely he will play some friendlies before well you’d hope.

After all Pickford is the one to blame for this, you can make mistaken tackles and then you can be deliberate and he was deliberately trying to take him out.

3 Likes

It was wild, it was stupid (if I was Carlo I’d have a serious word with him), but I don’t think he was deliberately trying to hurt Virgil. It was more like Carra on Nani (but Pickford was even more stupid), that bracket. Of course, sometimes you don’t know what a player wanted in a split second, but I believe a lot of them are not like Roy Keane when he said he planned to deliberately hurt Haaland.

I’m just saying that I don’t have a single problem if they’re all trying to make him ready for Euro’s. I really don’t expect from Virgil to take it easy, forget about Holland and just think of Liverpool’s next season. I understand fear from us fans, we don’t know, even the doctors sometimes don’t know, but maybe it can be all fine, him making the Euro’s and return for us without issues?

2 Likes

Dunno I think it was stupid and yet in keeping with some of the shit he has done in the past, maybe your right, not really for discussion here mind.

1 Like

Depends on the timing for me I think. If he’s able to get a game or two for us before the season ends I’m ok with the Euro’s (with care)

If he doesn’t play for us then Holland will also have to wait IMO.

1 Like

Different situation, but Trent got back last summer first for England and then for us. That was a little bit weird, but there you go.

1 Like

I don’t mind this. Playing the Euro’s might be good for us if He hasn’t played all season. As long as he isn’t rushed back.

2 Likes

That’s my fear to be honest. Say he’s close to being ready, Holland take over his care and push their luck because they don’t have to deal with anything after the Euros.

6 Likes

So as soon as our season is over he won’t be talking and consulting the docs and physios with which he worked together for the last 8 months anymore?

I wouldn’t trust the african FAs with Mo, Sadio or Naby or the English national team with our players because not few people in this country would take any chance to hurt us but I would like to believe that Virgil is in good hands with Holland and that their docs and physios are already more involved in his rehab than we might think.

I think it’s more than realistic that he will play a few games for us again this season so he will go to the EUROs anyway.

I really don’t think it is realistic to think that at all sorry. Even in that quote it’s IF there are no setbacks and IF things go faster than expected he MIGHT just make their first game which is a significant amount of time after our season has ended.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure staff of both teams are working together, they’re at least informed about what they’re doing. Of course, you have examples where it’s more difficult. Matip with Cameroon in the past, Keita with Guinea now. There must have been mistakes at Liverpool as well. Shit happens.

3 Likes

Absolutely, like letting players take banned substances… People fuck up.

1 Like

Or sometimes you can’t control what other people do. There are mistakes on all levels.

1 Like

Imagine the outcry if Sakho had got the OK from the French national team to take higemanine!

1 Like

In my opinion and I’m not a doctor or anything but looking at the immense progress VVD seems to be making I think he’ll play for us again this season and go to the euros.

My only concern however is that JK and the team seem to be resigned to the fact that he is out for the season. If we get him back the last 2-3 games for example say, there will be no pressure and he will be eased back into it.

Holland will 100% not be that concerned about his welfare and will want him playing every game at the euros

That is potentially a big big problem especially if he isn’t managed correctly by them…

1 Like
4 Likes