Virgil VAN DIJK: 2020/21

Seedorf still looks fit. I loved him as a player.

2 Likes

Grande Clarence and Gini in the same sentence? Don’t kill me, Nikola. :joy:

Nice pic, two of my most favourite Dutch players. Seedorf was brilliant, one of the more underrated players from my following. Though that improves with time, now in his post-playing career. A complete player also with a good head and character.

2 Likes

Dubai :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Super-fit, tactically astute, versatile central midfielders who played well for both their clubs and country - I think that’s plenty of similarities! :slight_smile: Obviously, Seedorf was a different class to many, many midfielders but Wijnaldum is a good player, I wouldn’t mind him extending his contract and winning as many Champions League trophies as Seedorf. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

One of my favourite goals ever was one Seedorf scored for Real (I think) from about 10 yards inside his own half. It wasnt one where he caught the keeper off his line and lobbed him, he just fucking wellied it and beat the keeper with pace from even that far out.

3 Likes

Used to watch the Italian footy show on channel 5 as a kid. This game is the one that sticks out in my mind from that era for Seedorf’s two goals. Incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRZmeHwQNZI&ab_channel=milanvladanovic

7 Likes

Why did the slacker not score a third with his head?

Anyway, Virgil - one of the things we see with top athletes who even among their peers stand out for their physical gifts the way Virgil does is you often see a return to performance way quicker than normal. It’s just part of the same biology that allows a man to develop to be the fastest man at the club at that size that makes the healing take place quicker as well. We see it with NFL running backs occasionally where they beat their return to action projection on serious injury by months. Virgil strikes me as having the same physical characteristics as those guys, just lacking the same build due to lack of history with serious strength training.

We shouldn’t expect it, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all. I think if we go the rest of the season without seeing him it will be more likely that its because the season was ended early than because it takes him until June to be ready.

1 Like

Clarence Seedorf on Van Dijk :speech_balloon:

"I joined the captain Virgil van Dijk for some training today!

"Happy to see his determination and hard work to be back on the pitch stronger than before. In these type of journeys, patience and focus are key to succeed.

“Keep it up my brother!” :netherlands:

6 Likes

We had a guy come to play basketball here at my local university who gave us a national profile despite being a nothing program. He was an African student, but it was his freakish height that really gave him his cult following (7’6" I think). Apparently even Virgil follows him as I was surprised to see him acknowledge the words of support he got from him one of his recent IG updates.

1 Like

Tacko Fall?

1 Like

Yeah. Met him a few times. Lovely bloke.

2 Likes

If you picked it up within 3 seconds then it’s still good to eat.

15 Likes

:rofl:

That’s gold

4 Likes

UCF - Black and Gold

1 Like

This one?

3 Likes

Shirt always nicely tucked in. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes
6 Likes

No offence to him,but fuck off,he comes back when he’s fit and ready.
Fucking national managers piss me off

10 Likes

Shows why some were cautioning about getting hopes up.

“doesn’t get a kickback and things go a little faster than expected, he should be able to make it to the European Championship opening match on June 13 against Ukraine.”

So IF there are no setbacks and IF everything goes a little faster than expected he still won’t be back this season. I’m actually just hoping things go well enough for him to be back fit and firing on all cylinders for the start of next season. I’m not even sure how certain that is personally.

4 Likes