Nationality: Dutch

1 Like
17 Likes

About fucking time!!

4 Likes

Great news.

Mo next please.

6 Likes

Becker, TAA, van Dijk, Fabinho, in defence we are fine the coming years.

6 Likes

Talk about getting a boost before the season starts! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Boosh! Better than any new signing…

2 Likes

Does this mean we are stuck with you for another 4 years? Talk about bad news following good…

I hadn’t even heard VVD was in negociation. Poor Hendo! :astonished:

im happy he got a extension, especially after he chose to rehab sacrificing his chance to take part in the euros. Virgil showed the club his commitment and they rewarded him with a new contract. Thats all around good.

3 Likes
2 Likes

On why we can win the title again.

Defensive solidity notwithstanding, what hurt Liverpool most last season was less about what the patchwork central defense did to keep the ball out of its own net and more about what it didn’t do to help move the ball up the field and toward the opponent’s net. In 2019-20, van Dijk, Gomez and Matip each ranked among the top six central defenders in passes that ended in the opponent’s half and passes made into the attacking third per 90 minutes. In 2020-21, none of Liverpool’s primary center backs during the injury crisis — Kabak, Phillips or Williams — ranked higher than 14th in passes that ended in the opponent’s half, or higher than 17th in passes made into the attacking third.

Without the likes of van Dijk, Gomez and Matip for the majority of the season, Liverpool was a less progressive team, especially out of the back. When it won the title in 2019-20, a big part of Liverpool’s offensive threat revolved around its ability to strike from just about anywhere on the pitch. Yes, full backs Trent Alexander-Arnold and Andy Robertson did most of the damage in terms of chance creation,3 but van Dijk’s ability to pass forward, coupled with his formidability in one-on-one situations as well as in the air,4gave the likes of Gomez and Matip license to carry the ball forward and push up into space, which they both do exceptionally well. They could find forward passes while dragging the opposition out of its shape, thus opening up more space for the full backs. When Liverpool’s central defenders stepped into that space in 2019-20, they were buttressed by defensive midfielders like Fabinho and Henderson. This made for a more progressive and varied Liverpool.

3 Likes

2 Likes
1 Like

If it ain’t broke…

And who are “Liverool”? :thinking:

2 Likes

Angry Koreantagangry GIF by swerk

Happy!!!

You should know me by now; I’m never happy! :rage:

How is it new? Confused.

1 Like

Video published December 2018