Welcome to LFC: Ozan Kabak!

“I watched ex-Liverpool players a lot of times, like [Steven] Gerrard and Sami Hyypia. I know there’s a lot of legendary players. I also watched the Champions League final in 2005. I was really impressed a lot of times watching these games. They’re my memories.”

How old was he back then… about 5? :joy:

6 Likes

It would be a harsh assessment if i was basing my opinion of him as a player,soley off that one game alone.After pointing out his positives,i was merely showing some of the negatives in his game,which is mainly positional play (i’ve watched him on easily 20 occasions,that one clip was just an example of some poor play he’s been involved in).If you think he’s not at fault for any of those goals thats fine but you obviously see the game differently to me but if those same goals happened in an LFC game where he’s that far up the pitch,i guarentee he’s being held responsible for them.

Anyway!! I may be being a bit hard on him,seeing as he’s still only 20 and Klopp hasn’t worked his magic yet,but like i said previously,under normal circumstances,this kid wouldn’t be anywhere near LFC for a good couple of seasons and people need to remember that,it’s not like we’ve bought a nailed on first teamer.I truely hope he hits the ground running,becomes the best CB in the world and we conceed hardly any goals for the rest of the season,but for me the jury is still out.

4 Likes

Yeah I thought that when I watched the interview earlier. But guess you might remember Istanbul if your family are big fans.

The fact hes a Liverpool fan can only be a good thing.

5 Likes

He looks like a strong lad

3 Likes
2 Likes

“I would say I’m physically strong and a ball-playing centre-back. I’m good in the air. Sometimes I can score!”

That‘s what he said to the Echo.
How could we ask for more?

2 Likes

But we are going to ask him to play that far up the pitch because that’s how we play.

You’ve seen more of him than I have but I think when you point out those issues from the Bayern game and suggest that’s indicative of his game then I think it’s quite a harsh assessment. I don’t know who the number 17 for Schalke is but I doubt VVD would look that alongside him as he seemed to be more at fault on nearly all those goals than Kabak. He also won’t come up against the best number 9 in the game every week.

Ideally, he wouldn’t be anywhere near the first team right now even if we had bought him in the summer when we clearly had an interest. We can’t expect him to be the finished article and he’s going to be dropped in to quite a unique scenario. I just hope we aren’t too quick to judge him.

3 Likes

I know it’s not the most telling attribute, but still… for a CB, I’d always wish a height of minimum 190 cm. Gomez, VVD, Matip, Phillips, Williams have all that height or more.

I know that there are good center-backs in football history who have been smaller than that, but in the PL, it’s really useful to be tall in this position, with all the aerial balls coming in.

1 Like

I know you have already said this

I know it’s not the most telling attribute

But this diminutive guy was great CB

Of course, he was a great player. There are of course other great players who weren’t 190 cm tall. For me, Fabio Cannavaro is surely the prime example of a great CB without height.

However, these players didn’t play in England, and that’s really a difference.

2 Likes

He did have a stat of 75% won aerial duel which is impressive for a 20 year old. So while height is definitely a key factor but jumping reach and anticipation play a big part in winning aerial duels too, so lets see how he turns out when he gets to play. Hope he settles in well into our system.

2 Likes

Game of scrabble anyone…!

Yawn… will get me coat on the way out

Height is one attribute to a CB.
What is more important is positioning, jumping reach, timing and anticipation imo

4 Likes

And staying fit. :smiley:

4 Likes

:joy:

that applies to midfielders too

:wink:

2 Likes

strikers and goalkeepers also. :smiley:

1 Like

that applies to humans generally :rofl:

3 Likes

I’ll admit I’m a bit apprehensive of this one but that’s 100% based on concerns noted here and the fact I’ve absolutely no idea who he is or how good etc. he is. I simply haven’t seen him play.

But he apparently has promise and being brutally honest we need bodies. Bodies that can actually walk. But I do wonder how much if a compromise Klopp has had to make here and with Davies.

To be honest my concerns say more about my complete and utter disconnect with football beyond Anfield more than anything else.

4 Likes

I must admit I had my doubts about him as I would have preferred the lad from marseille Tchaleta Tsar but now he is here he will have to start a game with Hendo next to him as he will be vocal with him and guide him. I wish people didn’t mention his temper as that will be the first tick in all the PL refs books

1 Like

Kabak can‘t be that bad.
Otherwise Klopp would sent him to the under 23 instead of Rhys

2 Likes