Welcome to Liverpool Cody Gakpo

4 Likes
1 Like

@Dutch
Please give us your thoughts where and how Gakpo could be used at LFC

1 Like

For PSV he plays as a winger who cuts inside with the National team van Gaal lately used him as a striker.

He will have to adopt to our training and intensity of the PL and CL, can he do that, I donā€™t know.

BTW, one thing worries me, when things did not wend his way during European football, lost the ball on a dribble or a bad pass he let his head hang and gave up, did nothing defending for the team.

If he sows that attitude under Klopp he will not play much until he changes.

8 Likes

Doak is a superstar in the making, no doubt. Heā€™ll certainly be a regular in the rotation by the time he is 18/19.

6 Likes

Wow that came out of nowhere. I think weā€™ve just ticked the ā€˜buy cover for Salahā€™ box. Although heā€™s right footed, I do remember him drifting a lot on the right for Netherlands.

Strange player. Never seen him play for Eindhoven, so when the commentators were bigging him up, I paid extra attention to see what he was about. There was nothing flashy about him, he is not a speed demon like Luis Diaz, and being a bit on the gangly side, not exactly elegant either. I was initially unimpressed. But he was almost without exception involved in every threatening move which that Dutch side created. Good with either foot too. Came to realise that whatever he looked like, heā€™s undoubtedly one thing and thats effective. For that kind of fee its a no brainer.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll eat my bike helmetā€¦thats how confident i am :rofl:

3 Likes

Would you rate him above Antony ?

You know things have gone too far with football transfers when Ā£35m+ is considered a no-brainer fee!

5 Likes

Good deal for the price while it remains to be seen if Gakpo can make it to be a bargain.

The transfer market is inflated to such an extent , plus add in the PL tax.

For sure, Antony is a diver and a clown, inefficient.

2 Likes

Whats his ball retention and footwork like? Hes a big unit, could Klopp do a Gini with him and deploy him in midfield?

I read that Gakpo is;

meticulous about his development, even hiring a personal tactics coach to analyse his game. His steadily rising goals- and assists-per-90 minutes stats for his club show that extra homework is paying off.

Hopefully this kind of personal development stuff coupled with Klopp and co working their magic, doesnt see any head dropping.

3 Likes

Merry Christmas GIF by filmeditor

He was great for a 21 year old, just never really improvedā€¦

He is not light on his feet, like you said, he is a big unit but he is not easily pushed off the ball, he plays with power he is the opposite of the wingers we already have what is a good thing IMO.

He is more Richardison (without the shithousery than he is Diaz. Midfield you ask, donā€™t believe he has ever been a midfielder.

BTW, did not know he hired a personal tactics coach, thanks for that. :+1:

4 Likes

And according to Goldbridge, overspending for Anthony has led to the Glazers being overly cautious with their spending on Gakpo!

2 Likes

End of the day his resell value wonā€™t be that bad and he does have qualities.

Sure, but it is a reasonable assumption to work from - we know they overpaid for Anthony in the summer. Gakpo shares Ten Haagā€™s agent and wanted to go to Utd in the summer (and this winter window). He doesnā€™t appear to have cost us a significantly problematic amount - so presumably Utd would have had no problem in agreeing a similar fee. Theyā€™ve lost Ronaldho since then. Ten Haag wanted Gakpo last summer and again this window. All the noise around the deal imply Utd have done everything but actually put a bid in for the player that was acceptable to his club.

1 Like

Thats true, but I think he belongs in the same promising youngsters category as Nunez, Antony, Alvarez etc. who are under 24-25 and have potential to be world class in the future. Considering Nunez and Antony both went for Ā£80m+ this one feels much more palatable, pretty much like Alvarez for City.

1 Like