What's happening?

1 Like

I’m beginning to regret sharing my ‘what’s happening?’ :thinking::nerd_face:

1 Like

Sorry to chime in, but if you are enjoying it carry on sir…this is a ringing endorsement :grimacing:

1 Like

At least you in good company @Commando (or are you changing your name to Ding Dong now) :0)

That’s interesting, as far as I know they do get used in the UK rather reliably. Even have one (gas-boiler powered) that doesn’t seem to give me any problems.

So, managed to persevere and get through ‘Carlos The Jackal’, just finished part two, which is much much better and more interesting, part 3 tonight. It has my eyes and ears on attention, its quite good actually, if you get past part 1.
What I noticed in this 3 part series is, nearly every single person smokes like a chimney, almost every minute in the film, at least 2 or 3 people are on fags. Also, the terrorist incident at the OPEC meeting in 1975 in Vienna, it was a bright sunny summer day, where was the snow, it was supposed to be 21st December??

Different parts of the world use different methods to build and heat homes. You’ll not find any brick homes here, as an example. My home was built in the late 60’s yet very few homes on my street have wood burning fireplaces (I have one).

Maria… I watched George Gently series with Martin Shaw. It was set in the mid 60’s… talk about characters chain smoking, oh my word, it was unbelievable. No doubt included/brought into the scenes to bring an atmospheric feel of the actual era to the small screen.

1 Like

I have watched that on YouTube.

My family and I have now just moved to and are settling into life along the Garonne after a protracted period of back and forth for myself. It’s strange for me as, though I’ve lived in many places, it is a move of particular uncertainty - primarily based around the language barrier. SF (and Scotland) were far less daunting as there was only me and the language was broadly American/Scottish. Now it is a new language and being a family unit it feels a bit more pressured.

Life in progress - myself, the missus and the kids are all doing duolingo and trying desperately to get through settlement but it is just what it is - a project of 1-2 years!

6 Likes

I loved the George Gently series, they are all smoking their heads off in the series. I am surprised nobody died of lung or throat cancer. I think all the 1960s and 1970s smokaholics. I still remember when the tube stations people used to smoke and there were smoking carriages and non-soking carriages, oh my word! When I was little, we had a neighbour in the street, every time she opened the door, she had a cigarette in her fingers.

1 Like

lfti… - All on Netflix
Trolley 9/10 - South Korean
Divorce Attorney Shin - 9/10 - South Korean
Invisible - 9/10 - Japanese
Home for Christmas - 9/10 - Norwegian
:+1:

Good Luck in your resettlement @tesh. Enjoy learning the language. Although images of Officer Crabtree are already forming.

DKtvBYvXUAEWqud

:nerd_face:

3 Likes

Good luck Tesh.
Don’t be afraid, embrace your new surroundings. I was also told by my tutor when learningh a new language, learn as much vocabulary as you can, 10 words a day, watch abit of local children’s tv channels. Another language app to use is Memrise.

I found this type dictionary useful
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0241287286/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

I would recommend using something like HelloTalk or Preply alongside Duolingo to get yourself actually interacting with native speakers. Duolingo is good up to a point in terms of teaching you the fundamentals that will get you by in most day to day scenarios, but in my experience the best way to learn a language is to put yourself out there and just start speaking it with the locals.

Good luck :+1:

2 Likes

Arrived in Houston yesterday, with my missus.
We woke up at 5:00 AM this morn to watch the thunderstorm, and then we went to Old Town Spring.
Spent the day drinking, which we do regularly, but she is fucking gone, and she’s blaming the humidity.
I left her with a bucket and a pint of water, went out to get some food, and I came back to her crawling around, saying, “I puked in the toilet!”, contrary to all evidence that she puked almost everywhere except the toilet.
I love her a lot. :heart:
Tomorrow, we have the Museum of Funeral History to cheer her up, then we’re going to see Astros-Rangers.

1 Like

Happy days…

Family travelling back from darn sarf today……

cleaning up the good place GIF by NBC

1 Like

No idea what you’re talking about (vpn, hidden separate browser with password logon etc)