Who do you wish to sell

Moneyball it. They dont have to come from anyone player. Tighten up at the back we can also potentially get by with fewer.

4 Likes

200m this summer should have been enough to get Bellingham. I was one who would have happily sold Mo for that last summer if we could have then used that to get Jude plus another.

1 Like

One thing to think about with the Saudi money is that it will have an inflationary effect on transfers. If they really are intent on buying buying buying, and it becomes a bigger thing than at present, as we all anticipate, then other players we might want to buy will, on the whole, increase in price.

If we were to get a large sum for Mo this summer, and we spent it before the whole market is skewed again, it would see us do some serious damage in renewing the team.

I would be in favour, but only on the proviso that Mo was too. If he wanted to stay, then his loyalty means something, not to mention what he brings as a player, and that’s the end of it.

2 Likes

At the moment they haven’t skewed the market but the issue once they start dropping fees of 200m for players around 32 the 200m we get won’t do much.

I think I’d rather take 100m next season say on that basis considering it’s still a lot but not a completely crazy amount.

What I’m saying is I would hope Salah would go for his perceived market value after another good season rather than a completely unrealistic value that basically just inflates the market.

2 Likes

Don’t sell yourself short mate. She’s getting on a bit, you might have a shot now :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Poor lad, even his thread title hasn’t been updated in a year :rofl:

Dutch champions Feyenoord are interested in Nat Phillips, who is valued by #LFC at around £10m. https://t.co/qG3rw2kEMS

— James Pearce (@JamesPearceLFC) July 4, 2023
2 Likes

Mentioned elsewhere but players I think we may be open to selling would be

Phillips
Matip
Thiago

Possibles

Fabinho
Hendo

Whether any go remains to be seen but I do feel we will be looking at a CB.

I think we’ll have to stop calling him lad soon.

Maybe geezer would be more appropriate.

Bascombe confirmed today that Klopp is looking to add a young defender before the start of the season. I guess what’s left of the budget may command that. A CB might come last, when/if we get Lavia or whoever, see what we can raise more or less and then see who we can bring.

1 Like

Yeah.

I don’t think Lavia is particularly subject to sales (perhaps Phillips) but I assume a CB might be.

I don’t really want to sell anyone this summer bar perhaps Phillips who deserves a chance to go and play some regular football. At times over the past couple seasons we’ve been threadbare in places so im in no rush to move anyone on now the lads whose contracts were expiring have gone.

The Europa League gives us a chance to give some of the squad players game time they may otherwise not have gotten so im happy enough carrying a big squad. Kelleher, Tsimikas, Gomez, Jones, Elliott and Nunez should all be pencilled in start all those games when fit to give other lads a rest for the Premier League games.

No idea why we’d be looking to move Matip, Fabinho or Henderson on right now given we’ve spent a year lamenting not having enough suitably fit options for centre midfield. We might get one more midfielder at a push so selling your only senior DM, your captain or your third choice centre back seems unnecessary and frankly risky given we don’t know how the new lads will settle.

Only senior players I’d be open to letting go would be Thiago and Kelleher. Thiago I could live with if that was necessary to facilitate the arrival of another midfielder. He’s a luxury we can’t afford to carry. Too expensive for too little time available. Kelleher I’d only let go if he was pushing and we were comfortable with Jaros stepping up confident of securing a homegrown second/third choice option.

Don’t see us getting anything for Matip and with Gomez likely needing to spend some time at right back this season I think we could carry Matip, Gomez and one other in additon to the starting pair of Konate and van Dijk. He’s off next summer anyway so start planning for his replacement then rather than forcing us into needing to bring in yet another this summer.

1 Like

Sure, there’s the EL and it will give us a nice opportunity to heavily rotate in the group stage. Liverpool in the EL next season is a bit of a shock on paper (nobody saw that coming around the corner this time last year), we should be very strong candidates (if not the main ones) to go all the way. But there’s also the day to day, which is the whole season. I believe we can have a much shorter squad than last season and still have enough quality and depth to go relatively comfortably into knockout stages. It also helps some of our best and most meriting talents from the Academy to get a few games or minutes. Hopefully have a better season with injuries also, that goes without saying.

Zeno Debast please, or someone like Piero Hincapie.

when was the last time LFC sold their captain??

2 Likes

My friend who follows bundesliga exclusively (well stays in germany) says that Hincapie is someone who needs a couple of years for a transfer to a bigger club to make sense.

He’s in a good club for him to grow now getting regular matches. Doubt it makes sense to pick him up. FM does say that Hincapie is a beast of a CB but life isn’t always FM

Timing for sure is a telling factor but who decides when the time is right? The guy’s played on the grandest stage with his country and performed well…2 full seasons under his belt at a big club in their own right…if you wait another year or 2 you could risk the transfer fee going up. Reminds a bit like AlexiMac.

We signed Ibou at a fairly similar age, Gomez a lot younger and both grew at bigger clubs…don’t see why that should be any different with someone like Hincapie.

Doubtful we’ll see Kelleher or Phillips leaving this year.

Fair point. Wait for him to run down his contract and Bayern may well tap him up on the cheap.

his contract is until 2027, he’ll be 25. if he’s THAT good he won’t last that long.

2 Likes

We’ve actually got a fair history of moving on the club captain. Souness and Rush were both club captains in their final year. I’m pretty sure Barnes and Ince were as well. Neal had the captaincy taken from him in a situation similar to where Hendo is now and was moved on very shortly

5 Likes