Who do you wish to sell

Two days left of the week, come on Mikey, work some magic. :pleading_face:

1 Like

Thereā€™s growing narrative that we have some signing lined up and are desperate to offload the fringe players.

I think the club has decided not spend Ā£7-8m in wages of players who will contribute nothing. So, any transfer fees over saving that wages is good business.

1 Like

We should take what we can for Origi.

3 Likes

He looks like he wants to run down his contract, in which case we are unlikely to get anything for him.

1 Like

Going by his performances over the last two years , that has always been the case. Bit of a crappy way to bow out tbh.

1 Like

I think itā€™s probably a confidence thing. He probably lacks it and feels settled at the club.

1 Like

Heā€™s contracted until 2024, isnā€™t he?

1 Like

Wow!. I thought it was next year but just looked on Transfermarkt and see you are right (with a performance option for an extra year!).

1 Like

Never understood why we prolonged his contrat (well I do) but 5 years with 1 year optional extension?
Professional bench warmer!

1 Like

Couple of cult moments and you get a 5-year contract with an option for more.

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

There was a lot more to it than that when we offered him his prolongation, we had other priorities and for me he was an easy option all round. Still I was concerned at the time but not as concerned as I am now.

Origi earns about Ā£2.5 million a season and has three seasons left in his contract.

It would be so sad if we have to do a Joe Cole with him.

whatā€™s that?

We had to let him go for free so that he wonā€™t drain our precious resources.

Origi appears an obstacle now however still a few years to go before we are obliged to resort to that. Heā€™s still a decent player just hasnā€™t much chance of game time.

@Kopstar may be best placed to advise on this as I donā€™t know what clauses are common in player contracts. When a player is released from a contract that hasnā€™t expired, I always thought the sum of money they still get paid was negotiated - there may be specific sums outlined in the contracts though. Either way it still costs the club money and I donā€™t think it saves us much. The real benefit would be opportunity cost if we were able to bring in someone better into the squad.

There is also the issue of amortization, although only a small sum in Origiā€™s case but letting a player go for free still has a negative impact on the clubs finances for FFP reasons (just see the discussions around Barca thinking of giving some of their players like Umtiti and Panjic go on free transfers to get them off the wage bill).

3 Likes

To be honest if Divock is still on 50k per week that is not a good reason to throw him away. Sure I think we should sell him but if we would have to give him away then would prefer to keep him and reassess in Jan. He may not suit our game but heā€™s still a decent footballer and his wages shouldnā€™t be prohibitive for a while host of teams who would still pay a decent fee for him.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t think he deserved 5+ years.

Matip yeah (although also up for discussion), but Origiā€¦ nah.

1 Like

Matip if fit is well worth it, so itā€™s a very different discussion. If the medical staff vouched he would be available for 70% of the season then no worries, I bet they didnā€™t though. :wink:

@redfanman I donā€™t remember the details anymore. From what (I think) I can remember, we only took a token transfer fee with the understanding that the buying club will use that money as his salary; so that his wages (100k in 2010) donā€™t take a hit and he wonā€™t bother moving on.

@PaulRoJo I donā€™t mind if Origi stays. Itā€™s just so sad to see him in his present state. I spent the entirety of last season hoping, praying, that this will be the game where he turns things around.

@Zoran That was the summer of 2019. Things looked bright. To be fair, he continued to be decent in the early part of next (PL winning) season too.

1 Like