Who do you wish to sell

This harks to the problem. “Can… use”. He wouldn’t be and then fans would be complaining that we have no depth in quality. Even if he did get playing time I can see the same thing happening.

2 Likes

If only we could sell u-turns, we’d top the money league.

1 Like

But Shaqiri and Minamino create the same issue but take a squad place in the lists away from someone who can fix that quality in depth issue. Wilson doesn’t. That’s my point. He can be an extra they can’t. You only get a maximum of 17 slots for foreign developed senior players. And you lose a slot for every foreign developed under 21 player who had been at your club less than 2 seasons in UEFA competition too. Having Shaqiri or Minamino limits that number further and that’s where the vast majority of quality is going to be. In UEFA competition we have 4 slots that can only be filled by club developed senior player’s. We don’t fill them we lose them. Gomez, Alexander-Arnold and Kelleher are 3 of those. Wilson or Ojo are the only realistic options for the 4th one. We list one without taking away from the squad elsewhere or we don’t and don’t fully use the squad we have available. I also believe Wilson has something about him, certainly not far off Shaqiri, and can be of some use in some situations. Just doesn’t fit well with our mainly used (till now) formation. But I’m not convinced that formation won’t go through changes now anyway.

He still takes up space in the squad and a wage. If he isn’t going to play he should helped to move somewhere he will. Whether or not Taki and Shaqiri stay.

There’s an argument not to have any of the three here but I think the lists of those who should and could be leaving are going to be far higher than the number of those incoming. I don’t see more than maybe 5 proper senior players plus maybe a youth striker initially for the under 23s (with potential to develop into a senior option) and 3rd choice Keeper. I can see us needing to keep some options as squad fillers for now. Wilson would be one of the cheapest whilst also not stopping us having 17 top line senior players.

Yes, they normally are, and there is a reason Wilson’s name is usually on it.

So what would your squad be after departures you would have but before new players are signed?

Nat Phillips name was on everyone’s list last summer too and he stayed and has ultimately played a key role for us.

Ultimately it will come down to who we get the best offers for. I’d think the club will be taking a pretty flexible approach with the fringe players like Wilson Shaq Mini etc If we get the right offers they will move on.

I think the club will act differently this summer. We need reinforcements in defense, midfield, and attack. We need all the money we can get from fringe players.

1 Like

Don’t know I would have to give it more thought but. Much of that would be informed by discussions the club has already had and who it believes it could sign or move on - but I wouldn’t be planning to keep Wilson.

I just believe we will need to make room for quality to come in. But by making that room we may end up with little depth. We only really have 3 under 21s to turn to in Neco Williams, Curtis Jones and Harvey Elliott. 4 home grown can be covered by a new 3rd choice Keeper, Davies or Phillips, Milner and Henderson. Club developed is Gomez, Kelleher and Alexander-Arnold with one space left we can fill but don’t have to.

17 foreign senior slots have to cover a minimum of Alisson, VvD, Matip/replacement, Kabak/new CB, Robertson, Tsimikas, Fabinho, Thiago, Wijnaldum replacement, maybe Keita, Firmino/replacement, Mane/replacement, Salah/replacement and Jota.

That’s 14 meaning a maximum of 3 other senior players from Adrian, Grujic, Phillips/Davies, Ox, Shaqiri, Minamino and Origi or any new players that come in to replace any of those.

For me I’m seeing a real logistical nightmare clearing off enough of the fluff in the squad to make room for legitimate quality reinforcements to come in. I think attacking midfield is one area we will be quite weak with any or all of Keita, Ox, Minamino possibly going and maybe 1 coming in to join Jones and Elliott.

I don’t profess to know the rules but aren’t Ox, Philips and Davies Homegrown?

1 Like

Yeah but if you list more than the minimum ring-fenced 4 homegrown it comes out of your total number. So Henderson, Milner, Davies, Phillips, Ox, I can imagine us picking up a cheap/free 3rd choice veteran Keeper who classifies as home grown too. More than the 4 so unless some go (I actually think Ox and Phillips will) we won’t be able to list 17 foreign developed international players.

There’s 8 home grown player slots!!!
Squad size outside U21s? is 25!!!

1 Like

I think this thread needs binning… There is some merit when talking about transfers about how to raise funds but we have enough threads for that… But to openly talk about selling players doesn’t sit well really.

2 Likes

… well there is the funny side of it however it is essentially very ugly discussion like all is disposable. No loyalty, …

1 Like

Not in Europe. There’s a maximum of 25 slots. 4 can only be filled by club developed seniors (use them or lose them) and 4 can only be filled by home grown (yet again use them or lose them). And none seniors only get to go on the B list if they’ve been at your club for 2 seasons. So Bellingham for instance would have to go on the homegrown options for 2 years then he’d be able to be listed on the B list. Same with Camavinga who would take one of the maximum 17 slots even though he will be 18. If we had 8 homegrown players who aren’t club developed we would only be able to register 13 foreign developed, senior players.

Oh! so the domestic league doesn’t count, sorry for getting it wrong!

Well we’ve got too many to register and use them all so some need to leave or be loaned out unfortunately.

1 Like

Of course it counts. But you try telling players they’re really important and you really want them in the squad… oh But you’re not going to be able to play in Europe for us… I mean you’re import but not that important I’m afraid.