Who do you wish to sell

I think clearing the deck is just as, if not more, important as bringing in suitable reinforcements.

We have a hoard of players who will not play any meaningful role in our season. If we don’t sell them this summer, we will again be bothered to move them on next summer. Let’s just get it done with.

With the economy stirring back to life and fans returning for the next season, most of the clubs will be tempted to spend a little this summer. We must utilize this window of opportunity.

The sales will generate a tidy bit of sum and god knows (as does FSG) that we need all the pennies (not THAT Penny) we can pinch.

2 Likes

I would sell Thiago for 200mil, Salah for 300mil, Alison for 250mil. Yeah that’s all for now

5 Likes

Bring in Camavinga, Mbappé and Donnarumma as their replacements; wages would be covered, too.

Deal. :+1:

4 Likes

Phew, you spared VVD

:blush:

2 Likes

Neil Jones says Awoniyi has attracted interest from the likes of WBA, Fulham and Stoke (among others, but this maybe since his UK work permit) and that we’ll sell if an £8m offer arrives.

1 Like

OK Mikey, start selling. We need a CM and CF.

2 Likes

The difficulty we have in selling is that our players are rarely a priority for other teams and are not being sold cheaply. In some cases teams will try to hold off and see if they can snap up a loan deal instead. We really need at least one strong bid to draw out others for players like Wilson.

Unless Edwards has switched up strategies this summer, I would expect sales to occur slowly throughout the summer.

2 Likes

I agree with you. But I think we have a bunch of players who are priority for some clubs and I also think LFC/Edwards has learnt the lesson last summer and will be willing to agree to a reasonable price rather than holding out.

Players like Ojo, Awoniyi, Grabara, Grujic, and Wilson have played regularly, don’t have any serious fitness issues, and are reasonably valued. There can be swift deals for these players if we just stop fiddling.

Players like Minamino, Origi, and Shaqiri will be more difficult to sell. They haven’t played much last season, something the buying club will haggle over while we might be tempted to hold-on over their perceived potential and future value. Also, while not exorbitant, their wages are sumptuous.

However, moving the likes of Keita or AOC would be the most daunting task.

2 Likes

Pinch of salt but a mate of mine tells me that the club is working on £50m of sales by the end of this month. Unlikely that there will be more incomings until after.

Cue signing announcement tomorrow :joy:

9 Likes

Does that mean that players involved in the Euro (Shaqiri, Wilson) aren’t included in the projected figure?

I don’t see why not, the deals don’t need to be concluded, just agreed in principle…

Correct. By the end of June so I’m guessing that means the likes of Woodburn, Origi, Grujic, Ojo, Phillips…? £50m seems optimistic.

3 Likes

He said completed, which I took to mean out the door.

2 Likes

Not if you add Awoniyi and Takumi. Takumi did fly to Liverpool about a week ago.

Can they discuss terms with the players during NT camp? Without sorting out the player’s terms any deal is good as a non-starter.

3 Likes

Sure. Most NTs don’t like the disruption of medicals etc though nor really the distraction of discussing potential moves.

3 Likes

The heavy lifting in discussions is presumably with the player’s agent. I also suspect work on these deals began before the tournament started, so minimal disruption to players required if it involves players at the Euros.

7 Likes

From our first tea squad: Shaqiri, Origi and Keita in that order. While I rate Shaqiri more than I rate Origi as an actual football player, if our team is struggling like hell and it’s late in the game, at least we can use Origi to play the long ball into the 16 meter., hope to get corners etc.

I don’t think any of these would give us a good price, Keita probably the most I guess, since his technical ability is there in theory and sometimes even in practice.

As for our reserves. I don’t want to comment upon that. Most of those we had to use this season were far from good enough, but they played when they had to. They are also young. Our coaches know better than me their expected future ceiling.

Edit: Just noticed I had written team incorrectly. However, got to say that I liked the result, lol. First Tea Squad sounds kind of nifty ! :smiley:

3 Likes

I have a feeling, from what I have read recently, both Shaqiri and Wilson are waiting for the Euro to complete before they finally decide about the deals on the table. Probably both of them are thinking that they may get better offers on the back of a good show at the Euro.

1 Like

Taki, Grujic, Origi could well be £35m-£45m of that £50m and none are at the Euros. Add in the likes of Davies, Ojo and Awoniyi and there should easily be £50m plus in that lot or at least enough to buy a Neuhaus for example.

Wilson and Shaq to be moved on later after the Euros to help fund a forward player and that’s before we even get to someone like Keita and whether there’s an opportunity to move him on.

Dunno why Edwards gets so much praise, dead easy this sporting director lark.

9 Likes