Who do you wish to sell

More a case of showing why we’re happy to sell. A mid-table Prem club isn’t going to be arsed by what’s happened today.

2 Likes

:pleading_face:

Why, oh, why???

Indeed! Obviously not working hard enough!!

I thought of commenting this post when I saw it but thought better of it.
This is just @Kopstar 's transfer banter. He gets a bit carried away this time of year. Just be patient, we’ve already signed a player so things are moving. I twiddle my thumbs to help pass the time. :wink:

You just meant the end of July right…

Ha. No, I just passed on what my mate told me and he clearly meant by today. Still, he did couch it in terms that the club was working on these outs, didn’t say that they were certain to happen by now. Have we even sold anyone yet?

5 Likes

Really? Seriously???

Mikey is snoozing, Klopp is getting a tan, and you want us to twiddle our thumbs? Who’s going to do the work then, eh??? Next thing you know, someone pinching Origi for €25mil.

1 Like

You should be thanking me. I know so little about all these goings on that my utterings would be completely FADA (barmy). (Like evryone elses but worst :rofl:).

Origi. The only reasons for him being here next season would be lack of a buyer (probable) or a lack of ambition on his part (possible).

3 Likes

I don’t at all disagree. However, I also imagine Origi holds all the cards. He could be fine with his role here and not wish to move on at this time. He’s 26, only has one year left on his deal. He may simply wish to run his contract down and leave on a free next summer to consider all his options.

1 Like

I think Klopp and the club is fine with letting him run down his contract and let him play for his future, albeit for his next club. That is why I think they have set a price and presented ourselves as not desperate, it might not be true but that is how we have always postured ourselves and it has brought us success in many ways. So I think 15M from some quarters seem fair in the market although I think many will think we should sell at 10M.

1 Like

Agreed @gasband. I completely respect the rationale and if Origi stays I’m fine with it too.

Truth be told, I would be ok if we stand down in the market, entirely. We’ve already signed a brilliant young defender which was an area of need. As our squad stands now we have numbers everywhere.

I understand those that say we need attacking depth but with Jota, Bobby, Mo, and Sadio, where does another attacker find minutes? Additionally, Ox can continue to play the false 9 in relief of Bobby.

Midfield we have plenty of options as well. Naby will play an important role. As well Curtis.

The more I look at our squad and see the players we have coming back from injury, the more I’ve come round to the thinking it doesn’t really make much sense to spend this summer.

3 Likes

Agreed with everything except that I do think we need reinforcement in midfield. A fit Naby would do but not sure how he would turn out this season. A midfield reinforcement would not overload also considering it would be a replacement for Gini. The default three would be Fabinho, Hendo and Thiago. Having the new guy, Naby, Curtis, and Ox, if we don’t sell him to shadow them would be right, pretty much what we are doing in CB like the injury prone Matip.

2 Likes

Depending on Naby to stay fit long enough to play any kind of role is a dangerous gamble. If we lose any of our first choice midfield we will have problems. One more top CM is needed for depth and options.
We’re also paying wages of a number of players who will never play a role for us like Grujic and Wilson.

2 Likes

Also in agreement here, and I personally believe Taki was brought back early as he’s expected to have a larger role next season in a midfield role.

It’s nor necessarily what I would do, but for all I know, we’re all in for Mbappe next year and keeping our powder dry for then.

1 Like

People still talking like this transfer window will be a bad/scary one but the evidence isn’t backing it up. After a bit of tightening of belts last summer it seems largely back to normal in the window. The window falls in the 2021/22 financial year and it seems clubs are expecting revenues for that financial year to be largely back to normal.

1 Like

Can’t speak for anyone else, but that’s not what I am thinking. Just because we choose our targets carefully and have selling prices we are sticking to, just means we are being prudent and responsible and giving every chance to the likes of Naby and Taki, does not = scary/bad window. It does = comptent manager and recruitment team.

Naby has had every chance. He’s at “sell or extend deal” stage. His contributions already don’t justify his current wages, an extension of his deal would send all the wrong signals to the merit focused squad, especially as he’d be paid significantly more than many of them.

Taki from a human perspective it’s probably in his best interests to move on. Unless he really, adamantly wants to stay and there’s little interest in him he should be allowed to move on with his career for his own sake.

1 Like

Not scary, not bad not even worrying!
Current squad fit is better than good,if in form excellent.
No need to get get frustrated let alone scary crazy.
This is all about seeing action rather than building a good squad, we all love transfers makes us feel we are progressing yet the examples of Keita and AOC show us this isn’t always the case.
What bothers me more is we offer new contracts to these types, look at Matip.

And it’s more this form of thinking I’m seeing as dangerously complacent. This sport waits for nobody, its relentless you’ve got to constantly be improving. Luckily we have Klopp and a good academy so some level of improvement is guaranteed and even after a disaster year we finished 3rd because of the magical German (best in the world arguably, best in the world for a club in our circumstances DEFINITELY).

Two years ago we thought we could stall recruitment and coast, and short term that decision seemed fine as we won the league. But medium to long term its clear now we should have kicked on. The needs we addressed last summer (back up left back, 4th quality attacker, creativity in CM) were needs at least 2 or 3 seasons overdue (we never just look to solve all our issues we can, spreading our needs over several years).

If the recruitment we did last summer was done the year before, strengthening from a position of strength, it certainly wouldn’t have harmed our title winning campaign but would have left us free last summer to finally start addressing other needs, maybe we’d have ended up with a situation where we sorted out our CB options? As that would probably have been next on the priority ladder, and looking back with hindsight would have ended up being extremely useful.

It may seem like talking with benefits of hindsight but none of our squad needs were surprises, we were needing what we got last summer for awhile, the CB situation was a ticking time bomb for awhile (although the collapse was more drastic than expected).

There are issues in the squad now, and some impending issues that, if we don’t start fixing now, will mean we have some real sticky summers coming up where we overrely on the magic of Klopp to see us through. Instead of giving Klopp all the right tools to see what he can really achieve for us.

1 Like