Who would you buy?

Emotion Reaction GIF

1 Like

I think he’s likely to be contracted until June 2025 with an option of a further year.

1 Like

In: Camavinga and Mbappé
Out: Sadio, Bobby (at least one of the front three will have to go to make way for Kylian), Keïta and whoever else we can sell

I think Nat and Rhys have done more than enough during our recent run to retain their places here and I would only buy a “starting calibre” CB if Matip and/or Gomez were sold; given their injury records, I doubt we’ll find a buyer for either.

Many won’t agree, but I’d also like to see both Marko Grujic and Harry Wilson given a chance.

Squad:

GK: Alisson, Kelleher, Pitaluga etc
RB: Trent, Neco
CB: Virgil, Gomez, Matip, Nat, Rhys, Davies
LB: Robbo, Tsimikas
DM: Fabinho, Grujic
Controller CM: Henderson, Camavinga
Creative CM: Thiago, Jones
LF: Mbappé, Wilson
False 9: Jota, Ox
RF: Salah, Elliott

Evolution, not revolution. :sunglasses:

1 Like

There is a fair bit of difficulty predicting what we do this summer. Lots of unknowns, but at least we can chalk off Champions League qualification as one of them. This has to be a huge relief to everyone involved in the club.

The well connected journalists were of the opinion that this is a summer we were always planning to go big in (similar to summer 2018). Against that however, there is Covid and the impacts of the pandemic on revenue. It can’t be understated. There is also the fact that FSG and Klopp are very risk adverse when it comes to transfers, and don’t really want to be operating in an uncertain market. They won’t to go big this summer if there is a risk that this time next year their investments will be worth half what they spent.

We also have a problem in that a lot of the squad need contract renewals this summer. That’s going to be a huge drain on resources, and will probably affect what we can do.

I think it’s fairly certain that we’ll get a Centre Back and a Midfielder. Beyond that I don’t know. Especially up front, and if M’Bappe is flashing Coquettish glances in our direction then that’s a real quandary

Put it this way, I don’t think M’Bappe is completely mad, pie in the sky thinking. It’s probably not going to happen. But he is the kind of player who represents such an opportunity from a marketing and global reach perspective, I can see FSG breaking the bank to do it.

Anyway, this is my summer

Goalkeeper

Alisson is still the best in the world imo, but he has set a trend of missing ten games a season. We need a more reliable back up than Adrian, and I have a feeling Kelleher wants to get off. There is a really attractive package you can put together for a decent reserve keeper and I’d want to get that sorted. If we can’t persuade Kelleher to stay another year, then we’ll need to go and find a reliable back up.

Defence

I’m happy with the full backs, although I’d like to see Tsimikas get a few games this year, which should be OK if the Centre Backs are stable. Milner gives additional cover, so it should be fine.

The Centre Backs are the big priority to get sorted this year. Van Dijk, Gomez and Matip are the main three, and even if we were minded to sell the latter two, we wouldn’t be able to.

The club are looking at bringing in Konate at £40m. That feels a lot in this market for a lad who has spent a lot of time injured and isn’t starting at Red Bull. Personally I’d look at Caleta-Carr and Kabak (who has in my opinion been brilliant) for around the same money.

This leaves Nat Phillips on the way out, which might be harsh, but I’m basing this on what I’d do in his position. His stock has never been higher, and right now there are probably 5-6 Premier League clubs who would take him in an instant and make him first choice. Does he want to be fifth choice at Liverpool. Isn’t he 24 now? I think Davies would be sold if we can get an offer, and Williams should return to the U23s to continue his development.

So a pool of Van Dijk, Gomez, Matip, Kabak, and Caleta-Carr, knowing that if we feel overstocked by winter because Van Dijk, Gomez and Matip are holding up well, we can probably move on (probably) Kabak for a decent fee.

(Not that I think this will happen. I think we’ll go with Konate and keep Phillips as fifth choice)

Midfield

We have decent numbers, with Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago, Jones, Milner, Keita and Ox.

However three of those players are very injury prone, and one is 35. Which I think leaves us short in real life, if not on paper. I’d love to move on Keita if possible, and would take anything over 25m for him. The problem is that I just don’t see it happening.

Given how much football Gini has played over the last two years, I think would be absurd to think we can continue with what we have. We have to replace him. I think it’s fairly likely we want Bissouma, and we’ll persue that. But there are other options like Camavinga.

Attack

Our attack has really misfired this season, and it’s a matter of working out if this is a blip or a trend. Mane has got the bulk of the flak for this, but I think a summer off after years of continual football will do him the world of good.

It really depends how much money we’ve got this summer, because a forward line of Salah, Firmino, Jota and Mane, with Elliot coming through, and possibly Ox retraining to cover Bobby as false nine (something he looks really suited to IMO) then we should be OK.

But if there is money and/or the front three do look that they need replacing, then I’d like us to go for a belter, even if that means moving on one of the regular forwards.

I think we’ll end up leaving the forward line alone, and going with the six name above as our options, but if there is an opportunity to do something with M’Bappe then I really hope we can find a way to make that happen.

6 Likes

Just saw that Tomas Vaclik’s contract expired at Sevilla.

32 years of age, lost his place in goal to Bono, after 2 full seasons in goal for Sevilla.

Maybe an option to look at if Adrian is leaving and we can’t agree a new deal with Kelleher? Or one of we’d look at, out of the free/cheap/experienced options.

Although maybe he would not be at the stage of willing to play backup, but would want to go somewhere where he can play, I think he’s Czech’s starting goalkeeper.

3 Likes

Considering that we have reached the CL for next season, and at least in theory, should be flush thanks to that Nike deal, my expectation is:

Mbappe
Camavinga
Botman

And while we are at it, throw Haaland into the mix too… :laughing:

3 Likes

Salah, Jota, Firmino, Mane, Mbappe, Haaland…who get’s into the starting lineup?

Are those glasses allowed on the pitch? :laughing: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

6 Likes

For a moment I wished that Edgar Davids in his peak years replaced Gini.

:heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Trying to imagine a 4-2-4 with:

Mane; Mbappe; Haaland; Salah

Not sure it would work though…

1 Like

With CL now I wouldn’t rule out Sancho but he is not the type of attacker I wish for.

Would prefer to wait and activate Haalands release clause (€80m) in 2022.

But I also think that we should look to add an attacker now - maybe a loan.

Sancho is most probably off to United anyway. The groundwork was possibly already made last summer. And now with United’s season… they’ll probably complete it.

1 Like

Thats close to the Edge

12 Likes

With Napoli missing the CL wonder if they’re ripe for picking? Fabian Ruiz to replace Gini?

3 Likes

So we buy Sancho this summer and Haaland next summer, problem solved. :man_shrugging:

Top quality whenever I saw him play - that said, it’s almost exclusively in Champions League nowadays. He was heavily linked with both Barcelona and Real Madrid last summer and the one before, too.

1 Like

I think he was one of the options for City two years ago or so, when they were thinking about David Silva’s spot. He’s now in Spain’s squad at the expense of Saul, who had a weak season.

Agreed with Ruiz, think he’s an excellent player. Lefty too which would be a nice addition to the midfield. Good solid all round midfielder.

With Leicester missing out on the CL I wonder if Tielemans just became a more realistic option as well.

2 Likes

If we get Ruiz, then Thiago will remain at RCM.

:pensive: :joy:

Seriously, he’s pretty good when in form, but I think we’ll go for someone more dynamic.

How about Kalvin Phillips? Market value roughly £ 25m.