Who would you buy?

Born in Italy to a Brazilian international father with a Brazilian international brother. Represents Spain. Spent years in Germany, now lives in England! Confusing yes!

3 Likes

I think Flobs meant we already signed Pedri/Saul/Fill in the blanks

1 Like

Saul would be a very good addition. Prime years now, but a bit younger than a couple of our main midfield men. Hendo, Thiago, Fabinho, Saul. A great quartet. Jones is a smashing player too, and I fully expect him to get a lot more minutes than last season as he continues to emerge.

Then in addition to the five named, we would have Keita and Ox, both good players, but obvious question marks as they can’t stay fit.

1 Like

If there is any chance of getting Camavinga, and I saw a price mentioned that was way less than I would expect, we should be all over that.

Or if there is a chance we could do a predatory deal for Pedri, taking advantage of Barcelona’s financial woes, that would be awesome too.

I named an excellent quartet of midfielders in my post above. For the next generation, Jones, Camavinga, Pedri and Bellingham would be hard to beat, but we are getting into dreamland a bit now!

1 Like

Rennes apparantly laughed when they heard the 30mil euros fee being talked about…

1 Like

Fees that become publicly reported should definitely be taken as a negotiation pitch by the selling club, but yeah, Rennes have been talking 3 times that amount over the past 18 months.

1 Like

Saul is the one that’s really interesting me. He’s at a good age (26), left footed, used to playing in high intensity team at Athleti, no major injuries, making over 30 league appearances per season (plus the CL etc etc). A La Liga champion too!

Certainly would rather him than Renato. Don’t know enough about Camavinga

2 Likes

Of course, but I reckon they want around £50mil for him and you add in his wage demands it’s around £85mil for an 18 year old… Huge risk.

Saul is the smart move now. Good player. Had a slightly lesser season last time around, by his own high standards, but in many ways last season was an anomaly for loads of players and clubs.

1 Like

Swap for Keita

:thinking:

1 Like

I could see that. Separate deals, but one coming here the other going there.

I would guess a cash adjustment of £20M going to Atletico too. They could claim they received £50M for Saul while we could claim we sold Naby for £30M.

1 Like

It’s not Pokemon cards mate! Swaps ain’t happening.

2 Likes

:+1:

Sometimes I try to make a joke.

4 Likes

But not Mbappe?? :cry:

I’d like Lautaro Martinez, obviously (he feels like my new Mauro Icardi!), but I liked the look of Dani Olmo too who we’ve been linked with on and off since 2018, if not earlier. I hadn’t seen much of him before the Euros.

On board with the Niguez links as well. Neuhaus also looked interesting. Bissouma as well but there’d be the PL premium. Bellingham would be the optimum but Dortmund won’t be selling this summer, surely.

No thanks to Tielemans, Sanches, SM-S.

2 Likes

Yes, no doubt he’s a good player, I just don’t feel he’s one that will improve us, let alone take us to another level. He sounds desperate though which sometimes is a good thing then on others it’s not. :smiley:

1 Like

I agree, I think any of Olmo, Niguez and Neuhaus would be potentially great.

Disagree on Tielemans. Though any of the 3 above would be preferable, I wouldn’t be overly disappointed if we managed to get Tielemans in for around 45M. For that price a PL “proven” player that can instantly add minutes, experience and skill wouldn’t be the end of the world.

Also agree that a swerve on Sanches is a good idea.

If we are going for young what about Ihattaren from PSV, one of the few young guys from Holland together with Gravenberch I think who can go a long way. Had some (mentality)problems, overweight, did not accept the managers decisions but he has seen the light.

Wend on holiday with a personal trainer and came back looking like James Milner. :joy: The guy can play a bit with a gifted left foot, he is a attacking midfielder.

1 Like

Would much rather Saul than any of these young kids. Good all round midfielder, proven winner, good pro. He’d instantly add balance and solidity to the midfield.

Might not be the most exciting name linked with us but probably the one that makes the most sense.

4 Likes

Saúl Ñíguez at Atlético Madrid

2020/21: 2673 mins
2019/20: 4246 mins
2018/19: 3911 mins
2017/18: 4751 mins
2016/17: 4013 mins
2015/16: 3651 mins
2014/15: 1600 mins

Nothing really explains the drop in minutes last season.