Who would you buy?

Contract dispute and preparing to move him on…?

1 Like

I think he would be exciting on paper. He’s a proven player coming who had a weak season, but of course, it doesn’t mean he couldn’t rediscover his level or even be a better player with us than he ever was. I’m still waiting to see how much we really want some of those mentioned and more unreliably linked with us so far. A few months ago it seemed like Bissouma, now maybe the likes of Sanches or Saul, “tomorrow” it could be someone who was never mentioned.

1 Like

I asked similar and @Limiescouse broke it down pretty well in the Rumors thread. (Quoted below)

Another intangible, Simeone is an absolute shithouse madman so I can only imagine what his man management methods might be.

1 Like

Saul would be a great replacement for Gini, of the names linked I think he’s perhaps the closest to a finished article which can play at a high level from the start. There may be a bit more potential in the likes of Barella and maybe Neuhaus. For the rest, I’d probably rank them in this order of personal preference.

Barella
Neuhaus
Tielemans
Sanches
Bissouma

Or looking younger, Pedri, Gravenberch or Camavinga would be ideal but I don’t hold any realistic hope for any of those.

2 Likes

Nice way to treat a player averaging 4000 mins in five of his seven seasons with Atletico.

1 Like

Can everyone cross Barella off their lists please, he’s rubbish! :grin:

1 Like

Our two best strikers have to go to the AFrican Nations cup this year. Elliot is an exciting prospect though but I don’t know if he is ready yet. We probably need a striker.

There is of course a good way to find this out…

4 Likes

We still need one more midfielder and one more attacker. Give me Donyell Malen and Saul and I’ll be happy. Sell off the extra’s please. Origi, Shaqiri, Minamino, etc are probably not much longer for this club.

2 Likes

For me, Saul and Vlahovic.

But I also agree we have to move some players out before anything can happen. Not necessarily from a financial standpoint but from a sheer numbers standpoint. There are currently too many players still with the club to bring anyone new in.

2 Likes

This for me. To bring in a CM surely we need to move on at least 2 of Keita, Ox and Grujic if not all 3? Maybe Ox could be repurposed as an attacker and/or Grujic loaned out instead of sold but currently all 3 being set to add to Henderson, Thiago, Fabinho, Jones and Milner is just too much.

Same for attack. Jota and Elliott aren’t going anywhere. And hopefully we aren’t losing Salah and Mane as they’d be near impossible to replace with anyone but Mbappe. Firmino is the one of our main 3 I see as most vulnerable but he could well stay too. That could be a likely 5 (plus maybe Ox), before adding anyone that are all most probably going to be here. But then we currently have Awoniyi, Origi, Ojo, Wilson, Shaqiri, Minamino and Woodburn all on the books still too. That’s a lot to move on to create space for maybe 1, or (at a stretch) 2 players.

You can definitely argue that all of Keita, Ox, Grujic, Awoniyi, Origi, Ojo, Wilson, Shaqiri, Minamino and Woodburn have shown they probably can’t offer us enough. Due to ability, tactical fit or availability they probably shouldn’t be with us after this summer but it’s a large group that needs whittling down with (preferably) sales and (if we have to) loans. We could still be stuck with a handful.

2 Likes

Origi and Shaqiri I agree will likely be gone this summer.

Taki I think will be given time by Klopp as he hasn’t really had a proper chance to get intergrated into the squad - since he igned it has just been shit show after shit show. This will be his first genuine preseason at the club, and coincidently most of the squad are available for the full preseason (when was the last time we had that happen?)

If Klopp is going to stick with Taki for a bit longer, I can see 1 of Ox or Nabby being sold. Or Milner if Leeds were to come in for him - but I haven’t heard anything suggesting they fancy him.

Send him on loan to a lower Prem team for a season? :rofl:

Camavinga and Mbappe for me! :wink:

1 Like

Testify Flobs!

Sorry no do just a wish! :smiley:

I know the this is off topic and left field but is it worth going for a loan bid for Pedri? Barca are probably reluctant to sell so why not try to get him across for a season. With Niguez going there and the likes of de Jong and Busquets already there, his minutes may be limited.

Ideally, would like to buy Pedri but after his performance at the Euros I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t sell and definitely not to us… unless we take Coutinho off their hands as well!

Pedri is a smashing player, and if there’s any chance we can buy him and capitalize on Barcelona’s financial woes, so much the better.

Even though he is very good, I’d be reluctant to have him on loan with no option to buy, as that just grows a player asset for a rival, and I’d be loathe to do that.

1 Like

Barca will probably use Pedri themselves, so I don’t see him being allowed to leave on loan.

2 Likes

Left field indeed! I like it. There’s no way they’ll loan him out though. He firmly established himself in the XI last season, so even if Saul comes in he’ll be part of their core group of midfielders. Koeman said the other day they need another one, and they are also looking to move some players, but definitely not Pedri.

2 Likes