Who would you buy?

This only shows what we have already known: Klopp and Edwards are worth their weight in gold. What happens when one of them leaves, though? This model, while I hope it will be massively successful in the long run, seems unsustainable in the face of spending of Manchester and London clubs. Liverpool’s hierarchy will have to find more ways to be creative as the club can’t fight the rivals at this particular game.

4 Likes

Our success is down to Klopp and Edwards, the players Klopp wanted rid of and a couple that wanted to go we got top dollar for them and the money was used mostly very well to bring in top players that saw us win both PL and CL after being runner up the previous seasons, now we not getting much for what klopp don’t want so we are being told it’s not financially viable to go for top targets so we have to wait and see can we compete with what we have.

1 Like

What wages do they pay? Pretty sure we are 2nd for wages. This obsession with net spend is so embarrasing.

2 Likes

Really liked this, great find and thanks for sharing.

Picked E as I thought it was the best balance of what we needed. Was almost disappointed to see it was Bellingham and realise we have zero chance of bringing him in.

Good to see how Jones stacked up. Feels like a pivotal season for him this one. Want to see him really kick on and boss some games.

Anyone know why his minutes dropped off a cliff backend of last season?

2 Likes

I don’t mind as long as net income from transfers is looked at as well. they are 2 different things however they make a whole in the end.
Also who cares as long as we have a good squad and we are not going to get into financial problems. All’s well that ends well.

Any chance it coincided with Fabinho’s return, or did his minutes start to drop before then? If there wasn’t an injury, I’m thinking Klopp just wanted to have Fabinho, Thiago and Wijnaldum on the pitch as much as possible.

I think this was down to managing fitness as @Limiescouse mentioned in one of the threads earlier as he gets used to the physicality and intensity of the premier league.

2 Likes

Net spend hides many sins. What if I buy two players for £50m each. They turn out to be crap and I sell them for £30m each. Net spend = £40m but that’s hardly good news!!!

Longevity, success of purchase, game time etc needs to be considered. That’s where we score well & hence do not need to splash more cash on average players to replace poor buys. We used to!!!

Does anyone track a transfer success number?

4 Likes

There was information he had some fitness issues (puffy knees or something) so combined with Fabs back in midfield it gave an opportunity to deal with that.

(N.B I had ‘puffy knees’ when I was young and from what I can gather it’s common and more often than not goes away, mine didn’t but then they never fathomed out what was causing it (I had it all through my life until Lyme desease forced me to take antibios for a very long time, it doesn’t occur anymore, so it can be very complicated or very simple)

1 Like

We pay out a fuck tonne in agent fees as well. Possibly the highest in the league, which I think is a bit unexpected from FSG/Klopp.

I’m sure there is a theory behind this, something like you save more in the long run by buttering up an agent, and getting a clear run at players. When was the last time we signed a player and there were serious links to other clubs, to the extent we need to overpay? We always seem to have a clear run at a sensible fee at the players we want.

1 Like

My theory on agent fees is that traditionally agents make more from players moving than contract extensions and them staying. So guess what the main priority and motivation an agent has when giving players advice? Maybe we butter agents up more with higher fees for players staying and extending contracts to limit the temptation of persuading their clients to move clubs?

A wet dream?

This seemed to be an ongoing thing, but he also came back from international duty in the spring, right after a period in which he’d been playing a fair bit, with a muscle injury.

1 Like

If we see Neco, Davies, Shaqiri, Phillips, Origi and Karius leave we probably need to bring in a CM, a forward, and RB cover.

I’m still favouring Saul, ?, and Lamptey here.

I’d be open to the ? being Sterling, for the right price and right wage. Unlikely, but still. Offers something we don’t have, good age, good experience, good quality, good work rate, and club trained.

1 Like

He’d have to take a big drop in wages, I think he’s on about 350k a week at City.

1 Like

We could offer to match the wages City have declared to the PL and UEFA that he’s on…

4 Likes

Yes, I didn’t think about that.

3 Likes

Think Real will present Mbappe (free transfer) and Haaland (has a release clause for 2022) as the new Galacticos next summer.

1 Like

With the age structure of our midfield (Milner, Hendo, Thiago) I would love us to sign Jude Bellingham. Can’t see Dortmund sell him until 2023.

1 Like

Swap with Aouar.