Who would you buy?

I’m so small that I will make Takumi look like a giant :innocent:

5 Likes

Obviously we all want a central defender who is a bloody good player. You cannot, should not, get anywhere near LFC if you can’t play the damn game!

With that caveat out of the way, it’s fair to say that we want them to be good in the air, too.

2 Likes

Fuck you are Jordan Pickford?

1 Like

I need a wash just reading that accusation… disgusting, filthy, false accusation.

3 Likes

An article posted on The Athletic yesterday about Tarkowski and his desire to leave. Leicester made two bids (£32) this summer and were rejected. West Ham made multiple bids. Also being reported there is a £50M release clause in his contract which applies only to City, United, and Liverpool.

1 Like

Hopefully Burnley will be firmly rooted at the bottom of the table come January, and they will happily accept Nat Philips plus 15m.

5 Likes

I knew we should never have let Ragnar Klavan leave! I was right again!

7 Likes

Klopp’s tall and already knows our tactics inside out.

7 Likes

This is the problem with going home grown. There are no perfect home grown choices and we would have to overpay massively. We have room in the squad for home grown and would need to get rid of non home grown to sign otherwise but just feel the quality/value isn’t there.

2 Likes

I think the home grown in this particular instance with central defence should come from within, club trained, let the best of the bunch on the fringe emerge, rather than pay a lot of money for someone from a lower club who isn’t top notch.

We can buy a decent player from the Prem e.g. Tarkowski, but we will be rinsed on the price. As a comparison, Kabak would probably be half the money that Burnley will want for their man, and he may prove to be the better player.

I think the home grown issue will be mitigated somewhat with removing an injured player or two from the list, and then in due course we will let some fringe players go, like Origi, and that will open up some slots. Until then, maybe there is a chance for the best home grown central defender to emerge?

5 Likes

There’s always a trendy player in each window who’s name gets parroted by legions of supporters on social media, most never even having seen them play, most not even sure why their saying the players name, but are convinced it’s the answer to all of our challenges. As The Boss has said, it’s not a video game, you just cant plug any player in and expect immediate success. For me, it becomes so obnoxious you almost start to dislike some of these players as a result of the unjustified hype.

The last few windows it’s been Pepe, Werner, Sarr, and now it’s Upamecano. Players that supporters have unrealistic expectations for, but are convinced will be the answer the minute they sign. If the supporters clamoring for Upamecano are expecting him to come in and transform our backline, they will be greatly disappointed. Nagelsmann just last week challenged him publicly to learn from his mistakes, and he’s not having a great camp with France. Deschamps said at this moment he prefers Zouma to Upamecano.

3 Likes

You are probably right… But I don’t think we will sign him mainly because of price. Despite our need on the backline. We won’t spend big. I would be shocked if we do.
I see Semedo and Kabak as the price range we will spend.

1 Like

Absolutely, I could not agree more with you. I don’t think any of the “big” name center half will move in Jan. Tark maybe. If it looks like Burnley is still listless and adrift at the very bottom of the table.

1 Like

I highly doubt Tarkowski could play in our system. He’s a hulking, lumbering defender with a very limited technical skillset and only ever played in an extremely deep and defensive minded team.

It would be like signing Harry Maguire. Shit.

5 Likes

Ajer isn’t good enough. I haven’t seen anything from him resembling a world class player in any form or way, and while he has decent talent, seen nothing that speaks of such an illustrious career.
Contrary to popular belief here on this forum, I don’t think all Norwegian pros are that good at all. Just a couple, maybe a select few more, like Haaland and maybe Ødegaard and a couple of others with good promise. Ajer isn’t anywhere close to this category of talent. Seen him play for the national team lots of times, he is usually relatively average, with some bright spells in most games (makes several mistakes in almost every game though). And Celtic are better than the rest in Scotland, so hard to identify how good a player is there. You basically only have European football to gauge that on.

Nah, forget Ajer. He is no prospect for a club like Liverpool. Not yet anyway. But who knows, maybe in a couple of years he can be such player. But not now. I think we can find someone better in January, depends on how young we want him to be. Ajer is young and can develop, so there is that I concede. don’t get me wrong, he is very good, but I don’t think he is good enough for a Top 1-3 Premier League club. On positive aspect with him is that he can play both centre back and back though, so there is that too, I guess. Maybe I am judging him too harshly, but again, this is Liverpool.

6 Likes

Here, our very own TIA has a list for you

Part of our negotiation tactics :wink:

2 Likes

According to Kicker Upamecanos release clause for next summer is €45.

• would cost a bit more in january of course.

• Leipzig crashing out of the CL would also help

I believe this can happen IF Leipzig would show some flexibility with the payment structure (like Bayern and Wolves did).

1 Like

David Carmo is an interesting one, he seems to have quite a good foundation of skills and attributes for a good CB and particularly a Klopp style one. Not really “made it” yet and doesn’t even seem to be making the senior national team but could become a real smart signing.

2 Likes

Another one I had to Google.

What are his skills?

1 Like